Explosion in Beirut

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 4, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

So far, it appears to be an accident and a large firecracker warehouse exploded. But dear lord! 50 dead (so far) and thousands injured. I can only imagine the fear and stories being told in that city right now.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

How much fireworks are being stored there?! The initial fire pre-massive explosion had flashes in it that looked like fireworks. Was there some sort of gas terminal or something though?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, this makes more sense to me:

4. NorrisAlan

Was it stored below a diesel warehouse as well? Good grief. That was a gigantic explosion.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I saw firecracker factory, government-seized sodium nitrate (or probably aluminum nitrate) that had been stored for over a year, and a grain storage facility, all in close proximity. That's pretty much random Twitter user on the credibility scale though.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

ammonia nitrate?

Folks may remember the massive explosion in West Texas in 2013. That was ammonia nitrate. And then also many terrorists have used it. Oklahoma City Bombing, etc.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah, that was from your quoted tweet, and I misread it. The sodium nitrate was from another blue check.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Had a mushroom head? Imo

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah some blue check mark nba twitter guy had a tweet storm about it being an atomic explosion

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I saw a few videos from different perspectives and all of them were insane

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Crazy that it works out to being 1/10 of the nuclear bomb we dropped on Japan in WWII

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No where fallout, though.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That was insane

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

They need our thoughts and prayers over there right now.

VolDad likes this.
  15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Israel will be blamed for this eventually.

17. GrantCase

GrantCase New Member

Reuters had a report that welders may be to blame.

18. NorrisAlan

That and a 2750 metric tons of ammonia nitrate sitting in a ship for 8 years after it was abandoned there. How could the government there let that giant bomb just sit there in port that long? I would have towed that sum[itch bay] out into the Med and detonated it out there 5 years ago.

kmf600 and IP like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless they intentionally ignited stored material, I have a hard time blaming them. Clearly this was a failure of enforcement or regulation if they had fireworks and ammonia nitrate in the thousands of metric tons sitting for years right in the city.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

wonder if the welders felt anything or were just evaporated.