College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Doesn't cost me anything to be wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked if Arky upset UGA.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Other rumblings that we're gonna get Ole Miss and A&M.

Guess it's going to depend which plan they use.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not criticizing because I don't really have a vision for something, BUT:

Why are OOC games more risky than in conference games? Is it the factors they can't control, like fans traveling to tail gate? Because if so, most or all of the OOC established rivalries are within SEC states.

I see reasons why playing Oklahoma or Bama playing USC is perhaps inviting some amount of avoidable risk from travelling fans who won't stay home or won't NOT gather. But Florida-Florida State? USC-Clemson? Georgia-Georgia Tech? What's the reasoning?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I guess it is all or nothing on out of conference, especially if you got to a 10 game SEC schedule. Gotta draw a line somewhere.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Conference mandated testing and attendance is my guess, it removes the burden from the school and places it on the conference

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are the SEC and ACC approaches that different? And either way, this sounds like the NCAA creating another problem through their lumbering snail's pace of decision-making.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Probably not

8. CardinalVol

1. Testing
    2. Conference politics
    3. Allows an extra open week for games to be played if there is a postponement.

Personally I think they should play 5 games, all have open date the same week, then play 5 more. Or at least schedule weeks 6 and 7 off an kind of cluster teams those weeks based on who played who earlier in season.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The delaying and "extra open weeks" feel silly. If they can play at all, they're better off playing as many and as quickly as possible. The spacing of games will not be shaping what is happening nationally.

The real wild card is schools opening up. The more you play early, the better if that triggers another increase.

A-Smith and 10SEvols like this.
  10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think they set it up this way to make it as seamless as possible to pull the plug on the season. They can see what happens on campus for a few weeks (are campuses shutting down, are players getting infected from other students) and they can make a unilateral decision.

I read some of this somewhere so siap.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

So again, a lot of this is an artifact of a feckless NCAA.

12. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Liability issues is the concern.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Also, this way, depending on his things fall, they can cancel a couple games and play eight and the SECCG and still have a “legitimate” season

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah maybe. The one thing I have learned is that I have no clue what will happen this year. You could pitch me almost any scenario (sports, geopolitical, or otherwise) and I’d just shrug and say maybe.

VolDad, hohenfelsvol and warhammer like this.
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I just had a conversation a day ago in which I said pretty much the same thing.

16. CardinalVol

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. Volshaw

Volshaw New Member

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain