South Carolina thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 26, 2020.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

We did damage with our blitz packages and I hope that’s why we were sometimes beat so badly on those slants.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, first game after a ridiculous preseason. Other than JG concerns we will be all right.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We need to be able to cruise next week because the following three will be brutal

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think Shi Smith is also a legit all conference talent. And he did a lot of the damage.

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The same thing happened at times last year when he sent the house, too

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm okay with that being Tennessee's base offense

chavisut and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If they had fielded the punt, I'm 100% positive we would have blown deep cover in the last 20 seconds.

DC Vol, Memtownvol and IP like this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I gotta give a little credit to their offense as they were seeing our alignment then sending him to whichever wr position had the lb, safety or freshman matchup. Slant even got us when we bracketed inside.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I, too, felt that things were trending away from us. But it doesn't matter because they couldn't field a punt. and it isn't like we did not have some fluky stuff along the way either.

10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

We were clearly the better team.
    We had a spot in the game (after we went up 21-7) where we had a chance to blow it wide open and we didn't do it. We just have a hard time at taking control of games. JG is the main reason for that.

All in all, its a win.

Hope we get Shamburger back. I noticed too that McCullough didn't start the game and Bryce Thompson was playing some safety. Be nice to get everyone back in their normal spots.

Banks had some dumb penalties but showed up a few times and I really, really like Tyler Baron. He's gonna be a good player.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Did McCullough play at all?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

100 % correct. We had many chances to break them, and JG was whiffing on the throws. They were there, they were open.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yes. Played in second half. Don't remember seeing him out there in the 1st.

14. yont sum iss?

Weird. I didn’t notice him. He usually flashes more than that

15. yont sum iss?

I agree, but being this limited at QB is just depressing.

16. TennTradition

was a pregame scratch

17. TennTradition

Didn’t realize that. I heard something happened pregame. Good he got back out there.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maurer and Bailey both missed a lot of the preseason due to injuries or COVID. It is what it is.

19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

It's cool to notice freshmen out there contributing game one. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

JG did a lot of things wrong in this game and others, but we went up 14 and then had a defensive breakdown on 3rd and 8, and they we had a chance to bring the lead back up to 14 points and we got stuffed on 3rd and 2 (our only third down run of the game, outside the last two minutes) and then decided to kick a 46-yard field goal on 4th and 1. That’s how South Carolina got back in it, and honestly I blame the coaches foremost. 4th and 1 at the 29 should be an auto go-for-it unless it’s a 0-3 point game.

Memtownvol likes this.