POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And that is infantile. Say what you believe or just shut up, imho. Don't feaux spas out because "he did it!"

That is kindergarten level stuff. And that goes for both sides of this stupid war.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And as a society we treat those on these programs and safety nets as if they were scum sucking on the government teat and should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps like I did.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People want the standard applied across both sides of the aisle or not applied at all.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Do you want this standard applied on both sides for the sake of it being applied or for it to actually reflect the nature of the commentary? Because it doesn't necessarily have to be equal for it to be applied fairly. There is a reasonable standard of intent and building up a certain brand also relevant. Trump gets the flak because he deserves it to the nth degree and built upon the manifestations of his racism and general indifference to other human beings. In fact, part of his schtick is the onslaught, doing it so often one becomes inured to his actions and even disparages those who point out the instances of violations of norms and decency. Biden and Trump could say this line and get different reactions and considerations due to the identity they've crafted and created for themselves. I mean, it's not like Biden hasn't had some issues with saying silly things previously, but he gets the benefit of the doubt because his reactions and responses to those criticisms display an intention not necessarily to offend, a la the "you ain't black" stuff. Trump, meanwhile, does not and probably more concerns himself with this antiquated sense of machismo, apologizing equals weakness, but the end result is the same. As a black guy explained to me during the "you ain't black" mini-controversy, "I know the difference between an awkward ally and a real enemy".

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why are you using the word "you" as if I'm the person or type of person we are talking about here? I haven't called out Biden's comment here or anywhere else.

Is it the identity they've "crafted and created for themselves," or is it the identity the media has crafted and created for them by calling out and harping on every single thing Trump says while consistently letting Biden off the hook for what he says?

Just look at the debate with the white supremacists comment. They asked him if he was willing to ask white supremacists to stand down. His first two responses were "Sure" and "Sure, I'm willing to do that." And despite that, the moderator pressed him on it, asking the same question multiple additional times, and the headlines the next day were that Trump failed to denounce white supremacists. People on the right see that and think "What the [uck fay]?"

Then Biden says something like this thing about black workers stocking shelves. I don't think Joe Biden is a racist, but that statement is definitely problematic, regardless of what he was meaning or intending to say. People on the right want to see it get the same treatment Trump got, but that doesn't happen.

This stuff isn't just about Trump and Biden, either. Look at how Kavanaugh was treated. Look at how Romney and McCain were treated. It didn't start with Trump, even if it's now reaching its peak.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I could definitely see that.

7. Unimane

Trump didn't magically exist in this manner because of the media, it's who he is. The debate response was there for all to see and they made their own decisions. The media wasn't needed for people to be pissed off or critical of him.

The comment was made regarding if Trump said the exact same thing, he would be treated differently. The answer is probably yes, but for reasons outside the usual right wing paranoia of a "peaking" media bias. Language isn't always black and white, saying something can have various meanings. So, the intent delivered and the person delivering them can have an affect on their interpretation. Biden and Trump making a borderline statement can engender a different response, even if it is the same statement, based upon those perceptions, which is where I go back to how the two respond and treat these types of comments. Trump being a racist on numerous occasions lends one to think he's being racist, while Biden being a clumsy but well intentioned goof leads one to think he's being a clumsy well intentioned goof.

Trump is the dude you all chose, so you get all the bullshit which goes with the train wreck which is Trump. It doesn't help the sub-group which is most sensitive and paranoid about some sense of victimization is contained within the larger ranks of right and this sub-group contains many of the most devoted Trumpies, too.

Otherwise, Kavanaugh was a piece of shit treated about as well as he should have been while demonstrating an unfitness for his nominated office during his nomination hearing, while McCain and Romney are decent guys treated, largely, fairly, especially McCain, who foisted among the worst public figures in modern US political history.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why "was" Kavanaugh a piece of shit? and are you saying that he is not one now?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The idea that the debate response was there for all to see and people made their own decisions is not true, and I don't think you even believe it's true. There are likely a metric shit ton of people out there who didn't watch the debate, have never seen the actual video/audio from the segment, and legitimately think that Trump, when asked to denounce them, said nothing. And why would they think that? Because the moderator pressed Trump, even after Trump had answered the question twice, as if he hadn't answered it at all, and because the media pushed the narrative that he failed to answer it despite the fact that he did. That you fail to see this or are pretending not to is alarming to me.

That you've now claimed Trump is a racist multiple times is telling of your bias in this conversation. You're deciding he's a racist, and the media is deciding he's a racist, in the same way that you and the media decide that Biden is a clumsy, well-intentioned goof. That doesn't mean that what you or the media is deciding actually reflects reality, but you're pushing it nonetheless. That's what people have a problem with. Most normal people don't think Trump or Biden are racists, but they see each of them making questionable comments/statements and only one being called on anything.

Big LOL at this one. "He's gonna put you all back in chains!"

10. Unimane

The fact you fail to notice or note the response was immediate and specifically noted his responses, as well as the fact the numerous Republicans were shocked and appalled at this, is not shocking to me, either. It's always the media making people think the way they do and the media is always against you, creating mindless drones of responses and views of events which would, otherwise, see it differently, right?

You saw it as you wanted to see it and can't believe others didn't, so it must be the media, right? It's not like millions of people didn't have unfettered access to the actual interaction and still came to a different conclusion. Is this possible?

For what's it's worth, I found other parts of his debate responses far, far worse, but this idea the media created this reaction is illogical.

Who the [uck fay] are "normal" people, the ones who, conveniently, agree with your viewpoint? You live in this delusion where you think so highly of your opinion, that alternate ideas from your own must be out of the norm. News flash, Skippy, the fact you think he's not racist could just as much be applied to your "bias" as anyone else's. Your logical fallacy of appealing to the crowd is not a particularly compelling argument and, in fact, considering the polling and voting patterns, not even accurate.

So, again, who the hell are these "normal people" who think "only one being called on anything"? This is what I was referring to earlier, the utter lack of self-reflection by those sub-group of right wingers completely believing in their victimization and the universal appeal of their plight and message.

I maintain my position. "Media", no doubt, will be the voices you want to highlight which support your point, at the expense of ignoring the ones which don't.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I did not see it as I wanted to see it. I saw it as it happened. Someone asked him a question. He answered it twice. The person then asked him the question again, as if he had not just answered it. There's no seeing it any other way. It literally exists exactly as I described. There's only lying to make it out to be different or worse than it was.

Could Trump have responded better the 3rd or 4th time the moderator asked the question? Sure, but, again, I saw him answer it the first time. The follow up question was unnecessary and just another example of what I've been pointing out about the media's bias. Even when Trump literally answers the question, he must be pressed. Was there any pressing of Biden over his ANTIFA comments? Of course not. And no one (literally no one) was surprised.

Normal people are those who aren't so consumed by political bias as to be unable to separate themselves from it. You're literally calling me a right winger despite the fact that I've never voted for a republican in my entire life. Think about that for a second. And what are you basing Trump being a racist on? What has Trump done that makes him a racist, in the traditional sense of the word? Or are you just applying the new left wing ideology of all white people being inherently racist?

Can't wait to hear why/how Kavanaugh was a piece of shit.

12. Unimane

How can the majority of the people be simultaneously manipulated by the media and a majority (or "literally no one") see how the media manipulates people? You are saying the reaction was seen in this manner because of the media, Chris Wallace's unfair questioning and so on. Yet, people see how the media also is unfair for asking this question. It's non-sensical. You want it both ways.

I mean, though, your mode of thinking actually believes a guy sued (and lost) for housing discrimination, plus comments about Mexicans, "shithole countries", "name one country run well by a black guy", the birther movement, judges not treating him fairly because they are Mexican, "go back to your countries" to American born lawmakers, etc., etc., etc. isn't racist. So, this on top of the fact you, essentially, defend and spout the Trump defense lines and commentary, as well as the universal condemnation of anything liberal, gives me a pretty good idea on your ideology and standings. I'm not sure why you are pretending you aren't what you obviously argue to be.

13. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

Apparently because he had the audacity to get angry for being accused of sexually assaulting someone. Funny thing is if he had the opposite reaction, the media and democrats would have criticized him for acting that way. He was in a lose-lose situation.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The only person who has used the word "majority" in the last two pages is you.

The people who see Trump's debate response as racist or failing to condemn white supremacists are 1 of 3 things:
    • People who are intentionally spreading misinformation to sow division
    • Those who are so caught up in their hatred of Trump and so convinced that he is a racist that they more easily (but unintentionally) misinterpret what he says as racist
    • Or those who rely on the media for their information and bought into the idea that Trump made racist comments in the debate despite never actually seeing the video and audio of what he actually said.
    People who saw Trump's debate response as condemning white supremacists twice in a row, then failing to do it additional times when asked the question again and again are the people who see the media as unfair. It's a different set of people, man.

47 years ago. Settled. And no admission of guilt

Specifics?

Poor taste, but not racist. The comment was based on standard of living, not the race of the people.

According to a guy who went to jail for lying.

How's this one racist?

If there is more than one example of this, then by all means, point it out to me, but you're leaving out important information here. He felt that a very pro-Mexico judge could be biased against him because of his stances on immigration and the wall and what not. How is that racist?

One of them actually was not American born, but whatever. This is probably the closest recent example, though it honestly seems very similar to Biden's comment. Trump was essentially doing a hybrid of "if you don't like it here, then leave." He was pointing out the hypocrisy of those lawmakers (Omar, Talib) who criticize America and talk about how terrible it is here despite having literally come from other places to be here.

Again, I'd say definitely poor taste, but I'm not really sure it gets to racist.

How can I be right leaning if I've literally never voted for a republican? I don't think Trump is a racist. That's why I'm arguing with you. Not because I'm a "right-winger."

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Biden comments in Miami aren't a big deal either. His "4 years later" comment is pretty clearly related to the next election cycle.

This stuff gets dumber and dumber.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

this was a very elaborate way for trump and pence to build a wall, especially a small plexiglass one

17. Volshaw

Volshaw New Member

Kamala is an idiot

18. Volshaw

Volshaw New Member

She is fake

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

She seems very sharp to me. Maybe you hate truth.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

New England Journal of Medicine endorses Joe Biden. Don't know that a medical journal ever felt the need to do that.