Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 10, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. The gap between us, uga and bama is still wide. You saw it today in person.

2. 17 rushes is not enough of an attempt to establish the run and keep defense honest. We needed at least 30.

3. I, for the life of me, do not understand why we continually to place the game on JGs shoulders. He cannot handle it. When things started falling apart we needed to try to run it instead of doubling down.

4. The TVA got caught listening to their own hype too much.

5. Cade Mays is an interior lineman. He cannot handle the outside rushers. He got beat a lot at tackle today.

6. Defense played well enough until they ran out of gas. It's a shame they allowed 44 points. Their effort should have given up no more than 24.

7. Cheney let Georgia dictate the play calling today. I held out slim hope until I saw fake reverse pass. It was then I knew we were officially done.

8. There were glimpses and all is not lost. There's still 7 or 8 wins on the schedule. I hate to admit it, but Georgia is just at another level right now.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If Georgia had Jamie Newman, they're a national title contender, IMO.

Tar Volon likes this.
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think 4 is a cause of 3. But yeah, agree with most of this.

7-3 would establish us at/near the top of the second tier of the SEC. 6-4 would establish us firmly within that group.

Very important to take care of business against Kentucky and not let Georgia beat us twice. Our defense can take away what they do best, but we have to do more than just show up. Arkansas also not looking like the gimme they once were. Have to take care of business against the 3rd/4th tier (and Vandy, who is atrocious) and go toe-to-toe or better with Florida/A&M/Auburn. Those three are our measuring sticks right now.

Nannerpuss likes this.
  4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Georgia isnt that much better than us. JGs inability to play and lead shouldnt overshadow how well everyone else is playing. You get a leader out there with average talent and Tennessee plays 4 quarters with anyone in the country. Period.

InVolNerable likes this.
  5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

My thought is that this team with JG at the helm is like trying to run a marathon with a sprained ankle.

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Other than are bat shit crazy turnover machine, we couldn't run the ball much either.

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

You're not serious about running the football when Eric Gray is giving up carries to Chandler.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

As crazy as it may sound we are much more equipped to beat Bama, IMO. Even though they're about to beat UGA. This was always a bad matchup, because at the end of the day, UGA was always gonna be able to force the ball into JG's hands by taking away the running game, and if there is no running game at all, then our offense is hanging by a thread, JG or not. We did a lot to minimize the weaknesses we have but at the end of the day, we had all our big mistakes compound at just the wrong time. The QB play was ass, but the gameplan did it no favors. We have the plays to stop a team just crashing their ends and bombing up field but we didn't utilize them and we had no coherence in playcalling. They think they have a better OL than what they do. Really wish we had #0 for Georgia on our sideline, him or Arik Gilbert. Need some big athletic, physical guys at TE so that we're not disadvantaged by our sets like we are.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I’m still concerned about our pass defense. At this point, I’m very confident that we can shut down a run-dominant offense as long as we’re not giving them a bunch of short fields all night. But I don’t know if we faced a decent passer at any point in our eight-game winning streak. Our only real weakness on defense this season has been giving up conversions on third and long (honestly I thought the dagger tonight was the touchdown on 3rd and long that made it 30-21). I am terrified of Kyle Trask, and Mac Jones looks like a different quarterback than the one we gave fits last season.

Our offense is what it is. We have a liability at quarterback, but we have some playmakers at WR and an offensive line that should be able to get push against non-elite defensive fronts. Run the ball a bit and get a couple big plays from Palmer and we can beat a run-dominant team. Our D is going to have to show something against passing teams though.

A-Smith likes this.
  10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Our D didn’t really give up 44. 2 fumbles for 3 apiece and a fumble 6. But it’s a shame the score suggests our d isn’t very good. But our d should be pissed at the offensive effort

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It didn't help that the D was on the field as much as it was. This is a continuing trend.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Pass defense is a worry but I think our pass rush will only improve. Its a big worry against bama but I think by the time we get to a&m and Florida it might not be the glaring issue it is currently

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll be positive enough to say that it felt good at the half, but then in the third quarter, it was straight up...
    [​IMG]

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  14. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I think the biggest disappointment today has to be the offensive line.

Georgia's D is elite, but we were still completely manhandled today. Hopefully they can rise above this game because the 3rd quarter on was abysmal in that regard.

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We made it really difficult for them. Nobody has an OL that can be successful against that rush in the situations we put them in.

IP likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The only way I can agree with this is accepting that we are now numb to JG's performances.

IP and justingroves like this.
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They show JG a look and know how hes going to respond, then wait on him to stare at what they know is coming.
    OTs had a bad night.
    Up 21-17 with the ball to start 3rd quarter and momentum, you cannot hand momentum over, but we did, twice, just like JG does vs most any team worth a shit. Adjust the line call, step up in the pocket, dont check where they want you to check, again, and get out of a bad play every once in awhile.
    Ga walkon/juco/walkon can step up to dodge a de and run for a 1st down, but 5th yr senior top 5 dual threat qb would rather win a staring contest and wonders why he almost got his wr neck broken

18. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

The o-line was a problem but so was the entire offense as a whole.

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This offense stays in 3rd and 7 or longer. It’s maddening.

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

That and 3 and outs from midfield are the hallmark of a JG offense.