Jimmy Brumbaugh fired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by The Big O, Oct 19, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's useless. He was hired for an in to IMG and that hasn't been much help

A-Smith likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

These are guys who played at highest level and coached with some of the best offensive coaches around. We can stop a replay and watch JG stare and be late. There is zero chance they arent in there trying to get him to let the ball go, imo. Pounding the table mad like the coach next to Chaney in the box was on tv last week.
    The one thing that pisses me off here about pruitt is his lack of ability to realize JG has no instincts and isnt a primetime player. There's a point where you realize some kids are just better at practice, and others reach a game speed they dont show in practice.
    It concerns me that its taken this long, but i do have to consider the pandemic and months of development Bailey missed after graduating early, as well as Maurers health.

3. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I didn't say anyone has turned on him yet. I liken the Instagram photo of Bailey as Ralphie in the Christmas Story putting that flyer for the Red Ryder gun in the middle of his mom's magazine. A gentle nudge that this is what they would like to see. But it seems like Pruitt is hell bent on playing JG. The team absolutely will turn on him if they keep trotting out 2 and he keeps making stupid mistake after stupid mistake though. Why play hard when you know it's not going to matter because you have such a disaster at QB?

Maybe they only have 1/4 of the playboook with the other QBs because of the complicated system but if it's that friggin complicated then dumb it down and get good at half of that playbook with one of the more serviceable QBs. I am just done with #2 - I've been done with him for what seems like 27 years now.

I don't care if they don't play Bailey against Bama. Throw in Shrout, Maurer, Smokey, Kesling, Priest, or anyone else except 2 and I'll at least be satisfied they are trying to do something.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Weinke sucked as the running backs coach and he sucked at the Rams.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont know that there's proof they ve turned on Pruiit, but the body language in the second half on both sides of the ball was not hard to see.

Either the players didn't want to see JG back on the field or they didn't feel like the play calling when he came back in gave them a chance to fight back and win.

JG over the last game and a half finally did the one thing Pruitt could latch on to justifing why he's still on the field. He put the game where they couldn't run it and play defense and still have a chance to win.

I dont think Pruitt has lost the team, but what he does or doesn't do Sat and going forward at the QB spot may change that.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pruitt hasn't lost them, but they knew they had no shot of coming back Saturday.

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't think he has lost them yet either, but he can't continue to show this double standard and not expect them to start calling it quits.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Pruitt may be stubborn but he's not stupid. He'll make the change. I'm not worried about him losing the locker room

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We’re getting awful close to the line that separates stubborn from stupid

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So let me ask you all this, if CP plays Bailey from here on out and doesn't win another game this season, is that acceptable for you? Does your opinion of CP change for the better/worse/not at all? Personally, I don't want to see JG take another snap for UT ever again. This is not meant to be disrespectful because he has taken a beating while here and I truly appreciate what he's attempted but I'm pretty confident I've seen all that he has to offer. So riding the season out with Bailey this year, even if it means we don't win, I'm okay with that. JMO of course.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No i give him a little pass and thank him for saving my saturdays 3 yrs too late. I cant do it anymore. My sons dont watch when #2 goes on the field. Play the young kids. We are young at LB and DL and some spots on OL. Young at wr. Play em and lets see who likes to play ball and who cowers.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you don't see significant QB development and offensive improvement with a blue chip QB over the course of the next 6 games. then you've got to think we've got the wrong bunch of coaches.

Gotta get Bailey better. Also, gotta beat Vanderbilt. Not beating Vanderbilt is fireable. They are 98 Gamecocks level awful.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Agree.
    The idea that can't linger very long tho.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Don't get me wrong I want to win and if Bailey is as good as advertised or even half as, we'd be in about as good a shape as we are in now with JG but with an upside. And I agree, seeing Bailey's progression over the next 6 games if he were to take the reigns now would be some sort of proof as to what kind of coaches we have on the offensive side (Which I think we have good coaches). So if things are going to go to shit, which we are well on our way, stick the kid in there and let him play. I'd rather watch him make rookie mistakes and lose than have JG make the same damn mistake over and over...and lose.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

even if bailey tanks, it just helps us move on to the guy coming in. and if he ranks, it is year 6 with no qb in 6 chances. so time to move on.

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Everyone else cares more than I do right now. Sick and tired of coaches who only think about year after next. Win this game. Win the next one. We need a coach that hates to lose even if he must field 10 under skilled FR ... I mean 10 period. 1 short

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Pruitt’s desire to give himself the best chance possible to win right now this is the reason he has continued and continued to sink valuable snaps into JG. Just thinking a half season down the road would probably have been enough to bench him.

18. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I would be perfectly fine with Pruitt playing anyone except 2 at QB even if we didn't win another game. Now, if we can't beat Vanderbilt that might give me some pause. This year IMO is a throwaway anyway with Covid. It's lucky we are getting to see CFB at all. Put in the young guys and let them play and I think the majority of the fanbase will be ok no matter what knowing they are building for the future.

But the other scary thought is that Pruitt could think he's STILL building for next year by playing 2. Because 2 can come back next year. That's a nightmare scenario I don't even want my mind to try to grasp right now.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Unfortunately, I doubt recruits will view this as a throwaway season. We definitely need to get Guarantano out of there and someone else in, but if we put up a 3-7 record while trying to get young guys PT and ready for next year, there's going to be a significant hit on the recruiting trail. We're definitely in a shit position right now and it could go bad quickly.

Tar Volon likes this.
  20. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Too early to send a copy of interviewing for dummies to the athletic director?