Jimmy Brumbaugh fired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by The Big O, Oct 19, 2020.

1. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Guarantano is the direct reason for two bad season starts. Not sure why Pruitt thought is would be better than last year. Rolling the dice on the kid's mental stability I guess. Well he got snake eyes last year and now this year. Move on.

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I don't follow recruiting very much at all like many people do. But I have listened to a bit of Tony Basilio this week and he was saying that our recruiting was running well below average right now. If that's the case then it may not do that much more damage. Could recruits see the staff playing a lot of younger kids actually make them want to go to UT even if they are way down this year?

On a Basilio related note - without having to make a new topic - does anyone know why Tony Robinson isn't on his show anymore as a guest from time-to-time? I enjoyed when he would give some insights into what he was seeing over the past several years.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Thats fine for an upstart staff but at what point does Pruitt evaluate the lack of coaching and determine it has outweighed the reward(s)?

It has to happen after this season if things dont get better. Of all UT's woes, consistent qb play has been an issue far too long.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He’s been on the post game show at least once this year. I don’t listen to the daily show that often

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The best possible thing for recruiting would be Bailey showing out. That's what happened with Peyton.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm hoping he comes in and puts up numbers to finish out the season similar to what Bray did in November of his freshman year. That happens and a lot of problems will fix themselves.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I think he has been on a timeline with JG thinking he could let the others develop slowly while JG was serviceable in the short term. That shows no sense of urgency to get that position upgraded. To me, it seems like he is just ok waiting until he recruits freshman AND they develop. 1 transfer or JC recruit and we might be in a better position

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I just do not believe that.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

no way unless he and Tee and Chaney have some type of mold poisoning

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee has a full class right now, they'll have to drop guys to add more. They're actively recruiting a small group right now.

chavisut and Tar Volon like this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i think the class is fine. Hard to know much as kids missed camps, where they get more hype and rankings increase, in a time where kids are usually getting taller, stronger and faster. Add in shortened or no season this year and you try to find athletes and fill needs. I don't fret over 5* OL anymore. Outside of Trey Smith, seems like highly ranked OL don't pan out at UT anyway.
    We need:
    -true dual threat qb who can get us out of bad plays and situations
    -Friend and Weinke gone as I don't know how Weinke would know to teach a qb to use his athletic ability
    -a true badass rb. I like Gray and Ty, but they are taken down in the open field by one tackler, too often.
    -Kesling to quit. The true OG jinx. JG is just the current carrier.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think he felt like the defense would be better and the OL would improve enough to not need him to be a lot better than how he finished last year.

Its not the case. You can beat 5 or 6 teams on this schedule IF he doesn't beat you like he did Saturday. The rest, you have to get better play than he is capable of on a consistent basis.

To a degree the offseason forced the situation, but he shouldn't be surprised really.

hohenfelsvol and Volst53 like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

if so, pruitt needs to be drug tested. And I don't think he could pass if that's what his mind is concocting

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Am I hearing this correctly? Brumbaugh used Covid to spend most of his time at home and had the players making cold calls to recruits?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It must be true, because that is the most Tennessee thing ever.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You wonder why Pruitt was pissed

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

see yuh

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Reportedly fired during the game; insubordination?!?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He wasn't but Pruitt may have horse cussed him to the point of no return

20. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

It may be interesting to see if there are any tactical change in the D-line, or even just increased effort against the Sabanites.

Memtownvol likes this.