The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We will not be a good team for a minute.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If I can be so bold as to say, I called this from our first press conference when Pruitt kept taking a sip from his water bottle and putting the cap back on.

3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

My only hope is that Dabo was 6-7 in his third year and maybe, just maybe, Pruitt can turn it around in year 4 like Dabo did. That’s all I got though. However, I am drunk. So disregard anything I have to say.

InVolNerable, IP and Memtownvol like this.
  4. juicemane

juicemane Member

Took Saban 5 years to get to 9 wins at Michigan St. Obviously Pruitt is not Saban, but I have to keep reminding myself that the guy took over a program that just had its worst season ever with no head coaching experience. It was never going to be a quick rebuild.

IP likes this.
  5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

At this point I expect for a head coach to have a plan and not look [uck fay]ing lost.

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Except he will be here longer. Dang

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It looks so much different with a QB. Idk why we’ve gone the way we have at that position but hopefully one of these other guys will finally get on the field and be better. It’s all I got

IP and Tar Volon like this.
  8. TDVol1989

it looks like he has a plan to me. Get paid a lot to lose as long as possible ... and play JG

9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

His problem right now tho is selling the idea moreso than the product. The last guy had the same issue and recruiting fell off at about this same time instead of it taking another step. You have to start transitioning away from idea about this time and right now he can't do that.

While the expectation of winning the east or even really competing for it in year 3 was too much, you still have to be moving that way visibly. I think he has in some ways, and hasn't in others. Some of those others happen to be vital.

Last week moreso than this week is hard to explain in that regard. What they did or didn't do between then and now bothers me more than the final score today. Hes gonna have to finish 4 - 1 to reverse the perception. The 2 problems there are, the schedule is not as light on the backside as it normally is and apparently he's playing JG until he runs out of eligibility.

Which brings up something else I'd rather not think about.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yep. There is no damn reason that Pruitt can’t get us as high as Butch [uck fay]ing Jones did in 2015. But he hasn’t improved us as quickly, in large part because Josh Dobbs is a hell of a lot better than Jarret Guarantano.

But he has to get there before too long, or else recruiting is going to drop off a cliff. And if and when he does, he’s going to have to (1) maintain it for more than a year, and (2) not prove himself to be a total dumbass that no one wants to play for.

I don’t figure the last part is going to be a problem. Getting there quickly enough and staying there long enough to have something real to build from is the part that’s still an open question.

12. juicemane

juicemane Member

Pruitt seems to form genuine relationships with players and recruits, so I’m not worried about recruiting falling off too much.

My biggest worry is how bad the secondary looks. I expected that group to be the strength of the team by year 3.

I do think they start a new QB vs ark. And with better QB play every game on the back half is winnable.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Unless Guarantano breaks a leg or dies during the bye, he'll get the start. He's throwing away this season and he's too stupid to develop young talent while he does it

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I never will understand why so many coaches go out of their way to make it harder on themselves

15. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

This is something that should get a coach fired.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

With cause.

And I still believe in the double vandy clause. Lose to Vandy twice, you are out, with cause. Hell, I think losing to Vandy and Kentucky once, each, is close to that.

17. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

AKA ... the Alabama Plan

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Imo pruitts background has him more grounded about money. I think hes trying and wants to make it work. Dont think hes the type to try to take money and not work for it or screw us over. Jmo.

19. TDVol1989

It doesn’t have to be a character thing. He’s the patient type. But that means more losing at least short term. And losing causes the fans to turn. That isn’t easy to endure and can cause hard feelings. Then you can start coaching to spite the fans.

After Nolan Richardson won a basketball natty at Arkansas in the 90’s I went to a luncheon where he spoke. The guy just won a National Championship and he spent a great deal of time talking about What fans and the press said about him and his type of up tempo basketball in his first few years at Arky. He stayed bitter through the end of his time as coach and it showed as he seemed to spite the fans. I don’t think he was a bad guy. Sometimes circumstances are just such that the pressure sours the relationship. Happened to Bo Pelini too at Nebraska.

pruitt might be an aight guy but he is stubborn as a mule. And questions about his decisions are going to wear on him if he keeps losing too. Maybe he plays JG to spite us all. So if he doesn’t figure out what to change and instead stays the course while losing then that is getting paid to lose.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

If he is realizing he's just not cut out to be a head coach and has the chance to completely bury one of his lifelong arch nemesis programs in the process of moving back to his chosen position, I absolutely think he will [uck fay] us like Butch Jones did.