Meet the new Boss

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 10, 2020.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

What do you make of all the penalties and the inability to line up? How about the tackling and coverage issues on defense? It’s not all about the QB, which is horrible.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not spouting stupid ass cliches or touting shit tier bowl wins as accomplishments or talking about energy vampires or 5 star hearts or life champions.

He's a disorganized disaster on most Saturdays, but he's not an embarrassment to football

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

His press conference today wasn’t full of cliches but it was just about as stupid. In a different way.

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't think those people would tackle fielding their replacements with the same enthusiasm.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

OK. What separates a bad coach from a good coach from an all time great coach?

Xs and Os?

Personality?

Will to win no matter what, including bending/breaking the rules?

Luck?

Intelligence (football and general)?

And why does it seem so hard to find this? I don't want a Nick Saban (OK, yes, I do, but lets be honest, that is a once in a lifetime coach, and somehow Bama has fallen into two of them), but hell, Orgeron won a Natty at LSU.

How is it we just strike out and strike out and strike out?

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

many factors could be discussed, but we still don't look like we have the athletes against our main competition who appear bigger, faster and stronger. QB is obvious. Our rbs cannot make a man miss in open field, whereas our defense gets in bama backfield, hits the rb and he still goes forward 4-6 more yards. 2 wrs can get separation in our rotation. TE nonexistent. OL actually looked like they could compete yesterday. DL looks weak and slow. LB as a group has the measurements but just arent good at tackling or coverage. Where are they on all these slants? DB's look like they are guarding patches of grass and letting players run free, who are faster than us and we end up missing opportunities by a couple inches as the other athletes make the play, outside of Thompson.
    Highly skilled and athletic players at a few positions, and a coach looks better. We don't have the horses at skill positions to make a difference imo

7. NorrisAlan

I get we don't seemingly have the players.

But why don't we?

What separates the bad the good and the great coaches? Simply recruiting? Jones recruited pretty well and he sucked balls.

Why can Ohio St seem to have a run of 7 hall of fame coaches in a row and we sit around with our finger up our butt wondering why our hands smell like shit?

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

hell we would be fine in the big 10 too and own them. Not playing ga, uf, bama, lsu, etc automatically makes a coach better. We are continuously 6th or worse in the league in recruiting and those teams with more nfl players will continue to whip our ass. Who got drafted this past year, anybody? This year, Trey, Palmer maybe, Deandre.
    Meanwhile, our main competition will have 15-20 players drafted over the same period vs our 3 or 4.

Memtownvol likes this.
  9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

will those same people get us someone who can win?

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It seems like our last few lack some sense of self-awareness or something, Idk. What am I good at? What am I not good at? What do I need to change? Admitting a mistake and fixing it?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

No. Those people want somebody they can push around.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They wanted Dooley, Butch, Hart and Currie

13. NorrisAlan

Crap. I just realized.

UT has the dumbest fanbase in the world.
    Our boosters are just mega-fans in reality.

ergo

Our boosters are mega dumb.

justingroves likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

FWIW our fans aren’t any dumber than anyone else’s. It’s all the same people

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

True Talent is rare in anything.

Sadly it’s looking like Pruitt is a high end coordinator but isn’t the head guy to put it all together.

I can’t believe Maurer can’t be better than JG. He will make some mistakes but he also has a dynamic ability that JG will never have.

As a coach though sometimes it’s a lot easier to see problems at a distance than when you’re right up on them.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, but he's been who he is for 3 and a half seasons

17. NorrisAlan

There's nothing in the streets
    Looks any different to me
    And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
    And the parting on the left
    Is now parting on the right
    And the beards have all grown longer overnight

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I bet The Portal is about to get really, REALLY busy...

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Bailey to PSU... book it.

20. Ssmiff

Offensive playmakers bailing wouldnt make much sense.