COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It travels back and forth with travel. The travel halts in March/April are the cause.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Outside of a couple bars here and there, masks have been worn by virtually everyone around here. Seems like if they really helped that much we wouldnt be seeing such a spike locally.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do people eat in restaurants? Can't eat through a mask.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think mask will have an impact on it, but distancing, less physical contact, and more handwashing will for sure.

Covid isn't good on surfaces with high humidity, but in low humidity it sticks around better.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Dominant, imo.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

IP likes this.
  7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t think that’s true. Maybe this is referring to their switch from ILI (influenza like illness) to CLI (COVID like illness)?

I’ll have to look into it.

8. TennTradition

How about churches?

CV is a very over-dispersed virus. Meaning that large super-spread events are really how it moves (with the exception of persistent close contact like homes). So keeping crowds down is one of the most important factors which is why Sweden (Who has consistently limited larger gatherings) has likely been able to control it without as many restrictions.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

also, Sweden has smaller households, going back to your earlier point

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

TT what do you think about Ivor Cummins and his thoughts?

11. TennTradition

I Twitter follow a lot of the names that add to the CV debate. At first I was like, who? Then I googled and saw who he was. Early on I saw some of his stuff but I chose not to follow. I wanted a wide range of views but also I don’t like having a massive feed so I don’t just follow everyone. I couldn’t tell you what specifically, but there were some things I saw from him that led me to not follow. As a result, I’m not super up to date on what he’s saying.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I will be the first to admit I've become over-lax at church.

After the latest trend upward last week, I also noticed that attendance was down Sunday too in both services.

13. TennTradition

I noticed attendance was down here last week as well.

We use an app to have everyone check in each week so we can appropriately notify if we have an issue. But so far none that I’ve heard of. We group all seating in groups of 4 or 6 and have them well spaced. Sanitize all seats and common areas before service. Masks required in the building. No congregating in common areas before or after. Hopefully that keeps us Ok.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We do 2 services as well, and we usually sit fairly spaced out. Not all do though. And outside congregating? Yeah, we're terrible at that, and I am one of the worst.

The church I grew up with is canceling everything until Nov 8 because a member tested positive yesterday and was at church Sunday.

Zero symptoms Sunday, woke up yesterday feeling bad.

15. TennTradition

Outside is a whole lot better than inside. A little space and outside is going to do pretty well as long as folks aren’t symptomatic with high viral load.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

that lag is what worries me with folks.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nevermind. I misread your post

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What was true in warmer months might not be true in colder months. I'm not sure if colder weather might cause it to hover around longer, allowing more time for someone to breathe it in. But, at the same time, colder weather makes outside gathering less likely.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Basketball gyms are going to look like practices this year. Sucks. I usually hit 2 or 3 local games a week. Not even sure if 2 parents will be allowed at my sons games and others wont be allowed. The indoor thing scares people. Also reiterates to me how silly it was to tell people who are near a beach to not go sit on it due to the danger. Crock of shit.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Just curious, has there been anybody, companies, etc. there pushing air cleaning devices or other similar devices towards businesses churches or such? I only ask because we were told to get ready for that sort of thing.