Listened to 5 Minutes of Ainge Today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Mar 27, 2019.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Guarantano sucks but I felt like we couldn’t get a first down with Matt Simms

A-Smith likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Was it while Simms was playing that the 0 for a game or two on third down happened?

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Simms was good at one thing. Throwing a double route.

Problem was he'd hold on to every ball like it was going to be a double route.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

Also Crompton at UCLA was probably the most frustrated I’ve ever been at a QB

A-Smith likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Crompton at Auburn later that year, against UCLA he shouldn't have attempted a pass after the first drive.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

I just remember guys running wide open all over the place. By auburn I pretty much accepted what we had

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he got the yips as bad as a qb can get it. Kinda get Kiffin still throwing it trying to get the kid out of a funk but holy shit that was a frustrating game. Akin to a couple of Pruitts, lost at the qb position with help of the OC and HC not adjusting

8. JohnnyQuickkick

*Fulmer

justingroves likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

*Clawson

JohnnyQuickkick likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I honestly believe Fulmer would have retired and left it to Clawson had things worked out, sometime around 2010/11

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Fulmer deserved to be fired, but in retrospect -I mean anything to change the timeline- we should have just given him and Clawson one more year.

You can absolutely see if a coordinator can't get it done in 1 year if they suck bad enough (Sunseri), but in general a coordinator needs 2 years.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

To be fair, it was Sunseri level bad. But in hindsight, Clawson has been a smoking crater year one everywhere he’s gone. It’s like he just uses it as glorified practice so that he can be successful in year two or three or four. Probably means he was the wrong guy to hire when we had a talented offense and a legit elite defense. Also means giving him another year probably would’ve improved quite a bit.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But Sunseri's defense wasn't going to get better. He was asking too much of a bunch of slow dudes. You could squint and see Clawson fixing things.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He gets hired after the 05 season, it's a different story

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Didn’t help that Fulmer was paranoid about his own job and didn’t trust or let him fully run the offense either.

justingroves and CardinalVol like this.
  16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Seem to recall he was about the 5th option too.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And he demanded certain coaches be on staff that would go around clawsons back.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah no offense is going to be successful while the offensive line coach is telling his players how stupid the system is and won’t work.

justingroves likes this.
  19. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Minus the infamous Nathan Peterman Florida game, 2008 Auburn is by far and away the worst play I've ever seen from a UT QB.

I know everyone rips Guarantano on here, but that was another level entirely.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.