The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Kendall has some blood on his hands too but like Card said if we are going dirty I would be good with this scenario.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Lets go fantasy get Urban.

Memtownvol and zehr27 like this.
  3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Hugh Freeze would be more successful at UT than Art Briles would be.

never mistaken my preference of Freeze to be a whole hearted endorsement. I just believe he makes the fastest W/L impact of any realistically attainable coach. And I am categorically ruling out any option without head coaching experience.

KyleAlexanderfan likes this.
  4. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Yeah but we would never hire them or they would never come here. Meanwhile we have Freeze begging to come here.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Everyone gives their list of guys they would want whenever we go through this (and they’re usually pretty decent with a few pipe dreams), but the list our AD goes after has basically none of the same guys.. minus maybe 1 candidate. Dan Mullen last time - but a lot weren’t high on him..

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not confident that anyone can fix us fast.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The three coaches at Baylor prior to Briles were a combined 31-94 over 11 years. Briles was 65-37 in 8 years. 57-21 in the last 6. It took the previous coaches 17 years to win 65 games, Briles did it in 8.

They hadn’t had a winning record since 1995. They’d finished the season ranked top 15 four times in 46 years before he got there. He did it 4 times in 8 years.

Led the nation in scoring 3 straight years. Top 4 five straight. Owns the all-time record for most points scored in a 13 game season.

He has 4 of the top 6 winning seasons ever there and their highest season ending ranking ever.

1 outright Big 12 title (first one since 1980), and another shared title (first shared title since 1994. That year was a 5-way tie, and they shared the title going 7-5/4-3, lol, and only won it because Texas A&M was sanctioned.)

Oklahoma is 27-3 all time vs Baylor. Art Briles has all 3 wins.

Texas is 79-27 against them. They’d beaten Baylor 10 straight times and 14 of the last 15 before Briles got there. Briles was 4-4 against them.

What makes you think he’d do less favorably than Freeze?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    zehr27 likes this.
  8. TDVol1989

Quite simply, that wasn’t the SEC and certainly wasn’t the SEC West. I think Briles might do better than Pruitt but Freeze has won in Oxford. Briles won in a high scoring, defensively challenged league. Just my opinion.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The SEC has changed. It is no longer a league where Defense wins Championships. 40+ points is common per game. We need a high scoring Offensive minded Coach.

And to be clear; I am not advocating for Art Briles. He is radioactive. He can't even stay clean at the High School he is currently coaching.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Have you taken a look at the sec the last few years and what is winning?

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Freeze, before being stripped of a lot these wins, went

7-6
    8-5
    10-3
    5-7

He beat Saban! covers up a lot, I guess.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I appreciate that you acknowledged the stripping of wins, even if it isn't the same as on the field losses

PilotFlyingJ and justingroves like this.
  13. TDVol1989

of course. I never said the sec is a defense dominated league. I understand there is more offense now. But the top teams don’t give up 50. The defenses are much better than Briles faced. If you believe that big 12 Briles coached in is equivalent to the sec west at the same time, ok. I don’t don’t think it is.

14. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Tennessee will only pull the trigger when the program is the least popular option possible for in-demand coaches.
    So be on the lookout for semi-successful MAC and Sunbelt coaches.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Orgeron left Nutt a lot of talent, Nutt left Freeze some NFL guys. He cheated his ass off and got some more big time recruits, but Freeze didn't take over a horrible shit show of a program. His 10 win season was horribly tainted, the rest falls in line with what Nutt did before him. People yell HE BEAT SABAN but no one is calling Malzahn a genius

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Freeze's teams play with the aggression that I had hoped would come from a Pruitt ran squad.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What do we attribute his success at Liberty to?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a good coach, but he's not, in my mind, guaranteed to play for sec titles before he's show caused

Tar Volon likes this.
  19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

People got pissed at Butch for losing the East after beating UF and UGA. Freeze once beat Bama, Auburn, and LSU all in the same season and still lost the West because he lost to a shitty Arkansas team at home.

I have no doubt he'd get some big wins here, but he'd probably offset that with awful losses.

The Dooz likes this.
  20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

But he never actually won anything. Briles has hardware. And his year by year SRS is better than Freeze’s, which takes into account SOS and and team performance.

lol, “I don’t have time for statistics and facts. I’ve got a gut feeling!”