Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Nothing too exciting. Mainly wreaths and Christmas ornament-y things.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Nothing kills a midlife crisis like watching hallmark movies and busting out the hot glue gun to make winecork wreaths.

justingroves, Lexvol, Ssmiff and 4 others like this.
  3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I’m 55 now. Never felt my age. Mentally that is. My body is starting to slowly fall apart though.

As far as mid life crisis guess I have been lucky. Just as anyone I go through periods of hating my job and marital dry periods. But I always know there is light at the end of the tunnel where things improve.

I’ve come to realize life is like a roller coaster. There will be downs and ups as we go along our journey. I now enjoy the ups more than I used to so don’t fret it as much as I used to. No matter how bad it can get there is an up side down the road. Even for us Vol fans.

Lexvol, Savage Orange and gcbvol like this.
  4. gcbvol

Ha, right there with you. I'm a 12 year old stuck in a 50 year old body. Are you still able to run? I can, but not nearly the same distance or pace as I've been dealing with a few nagging issues. That has been the worst part.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not running for the last couple months and gained the weight back. I’m scheduled for out patient back surgery to remove a synovial cyst messing with my sciatic nerve. After that will hit the road again.

gcbvol likes this.
  6. gcbvol

Sorry to hear, but glad you're getting it removed and will be back at it. I'm worried about my hip, but afraid to get it checked out properly. My brother's 2 years younger and has had both hips replaced. Some sort of hip dysplasia which is often a genetic issue. I really don't want a hip replacement.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I find drinking helps as well. . .

hohenfelsvol, utvol0427 and gcbvol like this.
  8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I used to be in orthopaedics and you’re right. You definitely DON’T want THA if you can at all avoid it but if push comes to shove, I highly recommend Hughston Sports Medicine hospital in Columbus Ga. Get Carl Savory to do the replacement if at all possible. He’s top 5 on the entire planet, and a super interesting guy too.

edit: Savory is retired now. Just checked Hughstons website.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    gcbvol likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

oh great, I just got my dysplasia for nothing.

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Plenty of fantastic ortho’s at HSMH... Savory was the best of them though. Here’s a story about him you may find interesting. The tldr version is that he was a Vietnam combat platoon leader and later was the lead field surgeon for the failed Iranian hostage rescue attempt. Like I said... interesting guy.
    https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/article29446267.html

IP likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Do you soak the corks?

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No. Should I?

13. InVolNerable

gcbvol and fl0at_ like this.
  14. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I was afraid of hell as a kid and prayed hoping to show my devotion and avoid torment. I snapped out of it when I realized that a fear of hell wasn’t enough to avoid it. To do that one needed a genuine belief in the metaphysical claims of Christianity. I knew I would always have doubts and gave up.

I took solace in the billions of Indians and Chinese who, among others, lived and died as infidels. As I learned more about the scale of the cosmos I found it increasingly difficult to believe in the necessity of orthodox religion. Is the creator selfish, psychopathic, capricious, envious, and nationalistic or was god created by men who displayed those hallmark characteristics of humanity?

As I accepted the irrefutable evidence supporting evolution I wondered when we evolved the ability to transcend the decomposition of our nervous system. Why should we expect anything after death that a chimp, dolphin, lizard, fish, snail, or bacterium wouldn’t experience?

15. InVolNerable

I agree. Something is going to eat my remains and eventually just shit me out.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what life is training us for.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Note: This got long winded and wound up more general rambling than a direct response.

I've been accused of being in a midlife crisis. I mean I did:
    1. Sell our house.
    2. Move overseas.
    3. Buy a bunch of musical gear and start playing in front of people.
    4. Grow out my hair.

I've also been accused of still having a hard time dealing with the loss of my mom what is now three years ago.

Lastly, it's been suggested that I had a bit of a nervous breakdown and was looking to escape my every day life.

I'm not sure that any one or all three are or aren't true. Somewhere along the way, work got to be too much, and I was completely overwhelmed. Then it got worse. That was during and after when my mom passed. As far as that goes, I don't remember going through all the stages of grief you hear about. I was the only surviving child, and I had too much to do at the time. It didn't help that I wasn't there when she finally passed or that I had reached a point where I had started to question decisions made from her diagnosis up until that point. All of these series of events also started at a time when I had begun to reflect on how I had been spending, or rather, wasting time for a while.

All that being said, this adventure has not been the cure for any mid life crisis I might have been having. I still feel like I am wasting a good bit of time, and I have some radical ideas about what to do in the future.

lumberjack4 and A-Smith like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

well, you sound cool as hell.

I'm not sure what constitutes wasted time completely, but I do suspect spending too long dwelling on regrets might be in the category. I try to learn what I can and move on, pushing past any intrusive thoughts when they come back up because they really have no use beyond what you can learn from them to do better going forward.

19. InVolNerable

As UT fans, we’re over-prepared.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Alan dies and, to his surprise, goes to heaven. Peter is standing a the gates and says "Hmm...a Buddhist. Too bad, you go to Hell. Oh, wait, you are a UT fan. We got nothing to punish you with, what the hell."

InVolNerable and A-Smith like this.