Potential Assistants

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We do, but they had no power in this entire hiring process

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm sure he will. Hopefully our new AD has the sack to sit down with him and get the guy he wants at a reasonable price.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I've no idea how much of the playcalling he handled at Penn State. At Illinois he seemed to be alright as time went on. I'm fairly concerned given that's he mostly been Co-DC.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Seems like Banks is at least a great recruiter, and Steele can hopefully mentor him if he needs mentoring.

5. Ssmiff

If he can defend the slant and not drop our best pass rusher into coverage against NFL caliber TEs and slots after showing a zone blitz 10 seconds before the snap, we may be ok.

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

So Steele is definitely staying?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It looks like he's the recruiter and the other guy calls plays

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think anyone knows for sure

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Haven't heard for sure otherwise.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Great. Make Steele co-DC then imo

11. VOLinDAWGland

Yep, business is business

12. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

My realistic expectation is that we give up a bunch of points regardless, he recruits decently, and we replace him after sanctions are up.

justingroves likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

This Scott Altizer hire is getting a lot of pub on twitter from a lot of former players. Very well liked and respected by those who played for and love UT

TDVol1989 likes this.
  14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Feel like he had a good year or two as sole play caller when I looked through the stats. Still odd he hasn't had a big job as sole playcaller.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He kept a lot of them academically eligible by staying on their ass to go to class

16. The Big O

The Big O Contributor

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

18. VOLinDAWGland

John Jancek for LB coach

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Watched the offensive coaches' pcs on utsports. One thing I don't get from them is a BSIA vibe so that's a plus. I remain somewhat optimistic for now (offense) but I still want to see how this thing drives.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not a fan of bringing Janceck or Martinez back, but Janceck had a couple of genuinely mediocre defenses as a DC during his time. I mean that in a good way about Janceck given his situation at the time and looking at the results since his departure. Is there any real smoke to him getting hire to the staff, or is it just a couple of parroted Harrelson articles and a they're "getting the band back together" vibe with Martinez's hiring?

I got nothing for the Martinez hire. I kind of understand it, but I don't really like it.