POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember back when famous democrat icon, Ronald Reagan, granted blanket amnesty decades ago.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are mistaken. See the links I posted.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you advocate for worse treatment of immigrants? Continue holding them without access to soap, as was done with the prior administration? Shouldn't this mean you are applauding the conditions at the border right now?

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

1st sentence, don't do that. Its weak af.
    I don't know the reasons why kids were without soap and have doubt that trump and pence kept them from having necessities to treat them poorly. I believe there was a suit during obama times regarding conditions. Florez or something, that was in play at points the last 8 years. I find it more likely dems would hold off legislation or stick to what the law says and blame it on republicans, while playing politics. Couldn't have been too difficult for dem leaders to buy a bunch and take down there, since there was easy access, if it really mattered that much to them. Like pennies out of some of their pockets. Why didn't they.
    I'm not applauding anything at the border now...the masses of kids who were led to believe the door would be open for them, the sardine packing in aluminum foil, the mass numbers during a pandemic. I didn't like people held in cages either, but the wall and president were at least a deterrant, vs come one come all, its all fine, then this happens with no plan or anticipation. Hell it happens every spring as you said, so they should've had a plan in place.

6. Ssmiff

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let me take you on a journey to the summer of 2014. Unaccompanied children were showing up at the US border in large numbers. The system was unequipped for this. The Obama administration spends millions to acquire facilities to humanely house these people while they get processed and their situations figured out. Here on the 8th maxim, this was criticized and derided as a waste of money. It was said that this would only encourage more immigration, and that they should be treated poorly. This was a common sentiment among those right of center. Fast forward 2 years. Trump is elected. He puts in places policies reflecting EXACTLY those sentiments. And that is what happened.

Here are some highlights of the 2014 discussion here:

And so on. You can read the thread, the topic of unaccompanied children immigrants starts on about where that first comment I shared was. I don't know why people don't remember all this. Nothing is random, all these things happen because of the choices made and the rhetoric used. And now, 67 days in to a new administration, we are back where we were in July of 2014 and starting over because everything was undone and nothing was changed.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Authorities encountered 9,297 children without a parent in February, a 30% increase from 2019 during the last major influx of unaccompanied children.

To be sure, it's still below the peaks of 11,000 unaccompanied minors who arrived in May 2019 and above 10,000 in June 2014, but experts and administration officials expect those records to be broken this year.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said last week that U.S. agents are on pace to intercept more migrants on the southwest border in 2021 than they have in the last two decades.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/biden-...child-migrants-crossing-border-at-higher-pace

With that said I do not think I would be bragging that Democratic President Obama had just as many unaccompanied children illegally crossing the border as Democratic President Biden.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is not a brag. But I don't think it is a matter of pride that people think they will be mistreated. This has been going on continuously for decades.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have not read that in any of his post.

11. Ssmiff

That's what he does. Hes a very smart dude, but pulls that shit all the time and needs to stop

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you read any commentary about it being dead on that the situation over the last 6 years has been caused by statements calling for better treatment of immigrants? I recall you saying " I said it was about Democratic policy and rhetoric over decades." That policy and rhetoric would be for the fair and humane treatment of immigrants. If not advocating for the opposite of fair and humane treatment, what is it that such words are are calling for? What do you think should be happening?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea what you meant by that deleted post Voldad, so I will ignore it. I don't have any super secret agenda, if that is what you meant.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They even cited CNN. Crazy times.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

On a completely unconnected thing. Meanwhile, she drank coffee this morning while having breakfast. Outrageous!

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Remember that time CNN reported on Trump getting 2 scoops of ice cream and everyone else only getting 1? Crazy!

19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Reference to allegedly sleeping her way to the top.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It was dumb then too.

Unimane likes this.