POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I got a hearty laugh out of that. Figured I'd have some happy clients.

zehr27 likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bolivia has one of the lowest tax rates in the world, at 13%.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kansas is pretty easy to figure out.

They cut taxes but didn’t cut spending. So they racked up a lot of debt. That’s not a winning recipe for growth since taxes will have to pay that debt eventually since states can’t coin their own money like the federal government

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you believe businesses didn't spring up or relocate there because of future debt payments of the state? Okay.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I know absolutely nothing about Bolivia but do they collect SS and medicare as well? If not how does their health care work and retirement?

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I got excited and then IP crushed me.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is IPs purpose in life.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now, I have no idea how it all works, but they went from a national health plan that covered 70% of people towards a now universal health plan. I believe you pay based on income, at time of service. Their pension system is paid for by businesses rather than individuals, and has been criticized as being unsustainable. Retirement is 58 there now.

I didn't bring them up as a model. Merely pointing out a nation that I know comes close to that mark.

Monte Carlo has no income tax on citizens after 6 months or something, but I don't think that really translates well from micronations to world powers.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Federal taxes are what they are but watching how state and city taxes are spent is aggravating.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

With all of it, it feels like spending is reactionary and ad-hoc. Which makes it difficult to feel good about no matter one's views.

SetVol13 likes this.
  11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I agree. If public funds and/or public land are used to build a road, you shouldn't be able to toll it. If a private entity wants to 100% finance it and pay for the land at market value, then by all means charge for access.

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Pretty sure 75% of Nashville’s taxes go to purchasing scooters and party buses

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Am I super wealthy, or super poor, that I don't give two shits about taxes? I don't even know what I make, much less how much I'm taxed.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Reading the local reddit page for my community is sad. People [itch bay] and moan how there needs to be more stuff to do in the city. The city makes an investment into an attraction or quality of life improvement and the same people start [itch bay]ing about how its a waste of money.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or hiring purchasing agents for jobs they plan to do but can't get cleared through their own stormwater review

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is me. My wife gets infuriated when I say "I have no clue how much I make". Am I paying the mortgage? Do we have food? Can we buy the toys that we want in a somewhat bearable time?

Then we good.

As for taxes, I have never in my lifetime, not taken a job knowing that much of that money is never going to make it into my pocket. It is a built in cost. I never take a job going "Woo hoo! 50k a year . No, it is 50k a year, that means I can afford 30k of lifestyle. I am really making 30k."

It is just another cost of living.

fl0at_ likes this.
  17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We married the same woman, too, apparently. Mine also gets mad at me when I can't answer what I make.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Reason I asked the questions I did was I didn't know if in that 13% tax some of those things were covered. Sounds like health care might be apart of there taxes but no retirement/ss.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think like us, the income tax does not directly cover either retirement or health care.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Some of y'all ain't ever worked off a 1099, and it shows.

GahLee, justingroves and IP like this.