The 8th Maxim Randy Mario Poffo Memorial Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Aug 14, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

AEW is still figuring out how to be a big time promotion and that's okay, they're doing pretty good.

chavisut likes this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Smackdown is the best wrestling show on TV right now and it’s not particularly close. Monday Night Raw is the worst wrestling show on TV right now and it’s not particularly close. AEW is alright, but it’s much closer the former than it is the latter.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Doesn’t get much better than Seth Rollins vs Edge.

chavisut likes this.
  4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

That gotta dump a lot of that silly stuff before I'll start watching.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’m leaning this way too.

I think they’re booking Reigns perfectly. I wish they didn’t need this stop gap between him and Lesnar though.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

There’s definitely less of it now than there was even a year ago, and certainly less than when they started. By and large the comedy/silly stuff is right where it should be in the lower-mid

That said, it depends on what is considered silly.

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The comedy stuff would be alright if it was funny and didn't degrade the product. I personally don't like Orange Cassidy but could put up with it if it was filler to kill time against an opponent that'd I'd never see again. It's like Disco Inferno circa 1997. Disco was over because WCW was over, but they still had the good sense to keep that bullshit in the first hour and away from the money angles.

My personal hope is that as TK continues to acquire talent who take wrestling seriously then he realizes that there is no longer much point in giving air time to personalities who can't talk and wrestlers who can't work/sell. And he pushes a ton of the guys who have up until now been cornerstones of his product onto Dark.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That Danielson/Omega match was good shit

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, Punk’s bit is already old and boring as [uck fay].

It was 7 years ago dude. Get the [uck fay] over it. It’s not even remotely interesting at this point.

10. chavisut

Nakumura is King.

emainvol likes this.
  11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The “Adam Cole Bay Bay” in Arthur Ashe was huge

Also, the crowd singing Judas continues to be one of the cooler things in AEW

12. chavisut

I tuned into AEW for the big names, I’m staying for Orange Cassidy.

emainvol and justingroves like this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's pretty impressive what he can do with his hands in his pockets

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't get the appeal and I definitely don't understand how it hasn't gotten old to the people who enjoy it.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I watched him a lot in the indies, and since the matches were few and far between it was mostly funny and impressive how he could go while doing the hands in the pockets thing

Now they are keeping enough of the old personality, while understanding that he can’t do the same schtick when he’s on tv once or twice a week. So, the focus has shifted more to “this dude can work”

But man he’s over as hell, particularly with the younger crowd

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Like I have said before, I can put up with him if it's treated like a lower card sideshow. Putting it there won't hurt him or damage how over he is for the people that enjoy it. Putting it anywhere on the show past the first quarter of the program will inevitably detract from the guys who take their craft seriously and will drive off viewers like me who are begging for a product that allows me to suspend disbelief.

I hope none of this is coming off with as pure anti-AEW bias because I really want them to knock the top off of it.

emainvol likes this.
  17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Nah doesn’t come off like that at all. I do think they are slowly toning down his comedy, and there are little hints that he is getting more fired up and “caring more” sprinkled throughout. OC can work well enough to be a solid mid carder based just on that, and his ability to get himself over is clearly there. He’s been around the block for a while, I’d love to see him make it as a serious act and just call back to the comedy as a rare thing to pop the crowd

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Can we talk about MJF and how he may be the best pure young heel in this millennium?

19. chavisut

Yes.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod