The workout thread(Weighlifting/Running)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Felt great to see that this morning.

gcbvol, chavisut, Volst53 and 2 others like this.
  2. CardinalVol

At my absolute heaviest I was roughly 220 about 5 or so years ago. I had whittled it down and floated around 210, which is where I was in January. When I started this program on July 19, I weighed in at 205. I've replaced some fat with muscle, and I would guess I'm down 20+ pounds fat, but this morning? Seeing that felt great.

gcbvol likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

Day 75.

Deliberately set up today to be a bench day. Had the most weight on the bar I've had since my senior year of high school. Not winning any gold medals with it, but personal achievement was unlocked.

zehr27, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Weighed in under 300 for the 1st time in several years on Thursday. On my doctor's scales I was 295.

That's 25lbs down about another 50 (at least) to go.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’m guessing this is winding down for you. Any lasting habits you’re gonna take from it moving forward?

6. CardinalVol

I honestly don't plan on changing much at all, other than not killing myself to walk at nights on days when it isn't possible to do it. If anything, I'm going to try to get a bit better in the food dept.

chavisut likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

I *might* try to start running. I don't really want to do it, but I know it's the next logical step.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We are about to buy a Peloton bike. Anyone who has one got any recommendations for which ancillary Peloton products are "must buys?"

Also, am I the only one whose mind is blown by the fact that a pair of clip in shoes don't come with the bike? It's my understanding that you basically have to have them in order to use the bike. I can't think of any other product that comes without a key component that's necessary to use the product. Imagine buying a car and then having to pay an extra $250 for a steering wheel. Imagine buying a PS5, opening the box, and realizing it doesn't come with a controller. Imagine buying an electric scooter and realizing that you have to buy the power cable necessary to charge it separately. It just doesn't make sense.

Or am I being unrealistic here?

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A 20th floor penthouse apartment on 5th Avenue over looking Central Park in NY City.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

To be fair, the first gen bike has dropped in price a fair bit.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I start to run a couple times a year and then realize I hate running within a few weeks. Much rather go on long walks or find a hill and sprint up it 5-10 times.

NorrisAlan and CardinalVol like this.
  12. CardinalVol

I'm actually going to buy a weighted vest to keep walking in. I just enjoy walking. I throw in earbuds and listen to podcasts and just relax.

JayVols and chavisut like this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Camo vest and a Navy SEAL hat

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    CardinalVol likes this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like walking the old logging roads in the mountains behind my house.

I like to run but it becomes addictive and I can’t keep weight on

15. JayVols

Went to get mt flu shot. Had to weigh.

Was 295 on Oct 7. Was 290 on Wednesday. 30lbs down, 50-60 more to go.

NorrisAlan and lylsmorr like this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How did it feel to push 185 off your chest again for the first time in ages?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The fiance walks to work a lot, and she says the same thing. The 30 minute walk home helps her decompress, so that when she gets home, she's ready to move on to the last part of her day and leave work behind her.

18. JayVols

Got a workout story that I found amusing & even funny on some level. It's 100% gospel truth down to the tiniest of detail...

While I can't say for a fact I've ever been racially profiled (except for maybe here over my Melungeon heritage... but I'm perfectly ok with that. I know it's in good fun... or at least that's the way I take it), I think I experienced a few of its distant cousins on Thursday. Pretty sure I was agely, fatly & crippledly profiled...

I joined a local aquatic center to swim last Thursday. It's just too cold in my little pool now, even with my wetsuit. I go during the sparsely populated early morning Old Codger Session... well, at least the lap pool is sparsely populated. The 90+° "hot" pool has a few older folks doing water aerobics & such. (I've got my septuagenarian mom to start water aerobics there. Kinda proud of that one. She's not a water person.) I can't do anything involving heat, so that's fine. I don't go near that pool.

Anyway, I immediately sensed worry & concern oozing from the lifeguard on duty at the lap pool. She stared me down as my aging, [less & lessening] plump & crippled self limped to a swim lane on my cane. I'm certain that she knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, she was going to have to jump in & save me at some point. It seriously was that obvious. She was wearing a legit look of grave concern on her face & there's zero doubt in my mind that my upcoming swim was the cause. As she looked on with visible worry from her lifeguard perch (Again, I'm not exaggerating any of this. At all.), I thought, "Honey, just sit up there & watch. This old, fat & crippled up dude's about to show you what he can do." I proceeded to rip off 34 continuous lengths (17 down & back laps) without stopping. That's 1,700 meters or 5,577 feet (1.05 miles). On Friday I did 50 lengths (25 laps). That's 8,202.1 feet or 1.553 miles. I did take a very brief breather on that one though.

But back to that 1st Thursday swim. Got out of the pool & toweled off. Then, I looked at that lifeguard & gave her a little cocky nod as I limped on my cane towards the locker room to change into dry clothes. I wish I had a microphone with me. I'd have looked her in the eyes & dropped it right there on the pool deck. She couldn't see because of my mask, but the grin I had on my face was ear to ear & even more cocky than the nod I gave her. I might have even had a hint of a strut in my limp as I headed to the locker room.... To be clear, I don't think what I did was anything special or amazing at all. I just found the pigeonholing that I perceived & having subsequently proved it unfounded quite amusing.

I may not be able to walk 50 ft without my cane or something to steady myself like a wall, but I can swim my ass off even with the MS. It's uncanny just how much water helps my mobility.

Also, had a neurology appt after I swam Thursday. My "official" weigh-in scale is at another doctor's office because I go there every month. Still, I'll report that I weighed 286 on those scales, but I have a -1lb rule when I weigh to adjust for clothes, belt, wallet, phone, snuff can or whatever else is in my pockets. So I'm calling it 285 lbs.

35 lbs down. Minimum 55 more to go.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Swim Forrest. Swim.

JayVols likes this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Poor lifeguard thought Jay was going to pull a Squints and pretend to drown so he could shove his tongue down her throat.

JayVols likes this.