Bama thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Literally….

“3rd down for what??”

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I believe we have also now faced 3 qbs in Heisman running.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like Huepel so far. That said, he better get some players in here this winter or his tenure here will be as short as the last three knuckleheads.

I remember thinking Gump had somehow gotten a fire lit under his ass down in Tuscaloosa in 2019 and then he went to shit last year.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not since last year at least.

Honestly, I think that a team that’s really committed to passing can have a reasonable success rate on 3rd and longish. It’s just that we’re seeing so many more pass-heavy teams in the contemporary game than we have in the past. And the three teams that have killed us worst on third downs all have QBs with Heisman hype and are among the nation’s leaders in 3rd down offense.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yep. If you Google "chips stacked against you" it has to have a pic of heup. Transfers, ncaa and recruiting against the bs out there, injuries, then you gotta go play multiple top 25 and 10 teams and multiple Heisman qbs with a new D and DC

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

They’re going to be more patient with him due to the investigation

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I swear there was no discernible movement on probably half of those “false start” calls. Bama players just randomly pointed at us and the flag came out.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The one posted on here had to be an OL popping a knuckle or maybe blinking excessively.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

OL needs a lot of help. Defense needs bodies

chavisut likes this.
  10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Beasley had an awful game. He gave Bama 3-4 first downs himself.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Huepel Has bought himself a lot of capital with the fan base the past two weeks.

not throwing the fans under the bus last week and how hard this group misfits is playing has endured himself to the fan.

I had my doubts but he might just be the guy to turn this around

lylsmorr likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not our coaches, apparently.

13. Tar Volon

Bill C released his postgame win expectancies for notable games (basically, based on how you performed in key stats, how often would you expect to win the game?), and he had Alabama at 72% win expectancy last night. I think you can argue his computer might overrate us, but it’s been a long time since they weren’t at 99+% against us.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nah, that feels about right. It was more than a play or two away from a win, but it was a good fight until the very end. Edit: very end = 4th quarter in my mind..

15. Tar Volon

The reason it surprises me is because these stats include the 4th quarter, where it really got away from us. If you said we were at 28% to win with 14 minutes left, I’d buy it no problem.

edit: he does filter out “garbage time,” maybe the last drive comes off? I dunno

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We need a complete overhaul in the secondary and at LB. If we can do most of that with transfers this team could be interesting next year with what all we have returning on offense. Probably also need to grab a couple of OL from juco or transfer portal.

17. Tar Volon

I don’t think our secondary has actually been that bad? They’ve played some really good quarterbacks and given up a lot of conversions where it took the opposing QB 5-8 seconds to find an open man. Not that an impact player or two would hurt, but I don’t know about complete overhaul. Definitely need to bring in contributors at LB and OL.

10SEvols likes this.
  18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I hate to harp on a few, but Flowers/McCullough/Beasley had awful nights. They each cost UT from stopping a few big plays and 3rd downs

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's bad (secondary). Our DL play has helped cover it up.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

He's no longer diet Dobbs for me.

NorrisAlan likes this.