2021 season thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I’m just going to be happy with 7-5, regardless of how it happened or how it could have been 8-4 or even 9-3 with a break or two… this has been one of my all time favorite seasons and DEFINITELY one of my all time favorite teams. The heart, all-out effort and general attitude of this year’s team has been something to behold and a benchmark for teams (that will almost certainly be more talented and deep…) to come. What these guys did with duct tape, baling wire, smoke and mirrors and out & out effort won’t soon be forgotten. Everything this program will do under Heupel’s leadership will be directly traceable to the example set by this year’s team.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'm afraid we take a step back next year. Especially if Hooker and Tillman leave. Mays gone. Velus. Payton. Butler, Tae, Theo.
    I dont know who are incoming safeties and cbs are. We need more at rb. Not sure we have any stud wrs waiting. Appears we may lose a couple of speed kids committed in this recruiting class.
    Portal is huge but it will take us time. My record expectations next year are about the same right now. Offense with Milton, small, Ollie, Dayne, Hiatt, merril, Calloway doesn't sound like a winning lineup

3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I don’t really see a way for the roster to improve so much in one off season for us to expect much more record wise next year.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Depth will be improvement.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The problem is that if we take a step back, we won’t be recruiting a top 10 class

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Games we won this year that are losable next year: Missouri, South Carolina, Kentucky. If we have Hooker, I think we win all three. Even if we don’t, we have a shot in all three. None of those teams are just out-talenting us.

Games we lost this year that are winnable next year: Pitt, Florida, SEC West Rotation (Ole Miss -> LSU). I think you can argue that all three will be inferior next year to what they were this year. We probably won’t win them all, but we’ll have our chances.

Point is, with our schedule, there’s room for improvement. Obviously, who comes back matters a lot. We need some depth, and we need a QB.

chavisut, Memtownvol and IP like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Hooker comes back, you can straight up add at least 1 win to the win total of the regular season with the 2022 schedule. Pitt without their 6th year QB is a different team, and with Hooker we would have beat them this year.

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. juicemane

juicemane Member

If hooker and Tillman leave, and we don’t do well in the portal the roster could be worse. If they come back and we kill it in the portal we win 10 games next year.

9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Worth a watch...

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Easier schedule and transfer portal.

11. chavisut

I think we’ll see some serious talent added through the portal.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

13. Ssmiff

14. Ssmiff

Who is JJ he was referring to?

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Velus I think

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Personally, I think we have seen the floor with Heupel and his crew. If you can go 7-5 with this MASH unit of a team, then I don't know how you got 6-6 or 5-7.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hooker has played exceptionally well, I think we're taking for granted how good he was this season. It could have been a lot worse with a bad qb, there's only really 4 plays to make the season any better.

That's a compliment to Heupel, though. He absolutely got everything he could get and had the refs not blown a spot against Pitt or a fumble recovery against Ole Miss, he looks even better.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  18. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I don’t think the portal is going to be the magic trick that people are hoping. We’re in quite the hole talent wise. Particularly defensively.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see Milton being "fix-able" either. He's real close to beating Guarantano in the completely unaware on a football field category.

So, please come back Hendon so Jackson isn't starting as a true freshman from day one

chavisut likes this.
  20. chavisut

Simply adding average players would be a boost to our defense from a depth perspective.

justingroves likes this.