Wordle

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 18, 2022.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

19 days in a row.

Today was pretty brutal. Tried something on my 5th turn based on what was left and got it wrong, but it got me to the answer on my 6th try.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Took the 5th today.

3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

3, the word I started with hit two in the correct position. Made it easy from there.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Did yall know there is a hard mode?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I play on it. It may be "harder" but it forces you to guess the word earlier since you can't ignore what you know.

6. CardinalVol

Its essentially how I play anyway.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t play with it on but I always follow those rules. Never bothered to turn it on.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

10. CardinalVol

4, felt like an idiot I couldn't think of the two letters once it hit me.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

2, had 3 letters on the first guess.

CardinalVol likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

How the hell you get it in 2 with 3 letters? I had ARS after the first word, but in the wrong positions. Hell, that could be any word those letters are so common. But like I said, I always sucked at Scrabble or Boggle. My brain just hasn't been trained in this stuff, spent my childhood programming my C64!

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

same letters, and I just guessed. two important letters were eliminated too, which narrowed down the words I was thinking of.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’m not proud that it took me 6 guesses, especially when I get much harder words in 3 or 4, but here we are

15. NorrisAlan

I think a word with a handful of common letters that you get early is harder than some weird word with odd letters. There are just so many words with ARS in them.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let me stream of consciousness it for you. I started with "RAISE." I knew there was an R, A, and S, but the R was not in the front, the A wasn't second, and the S wasn't second to last. There was no E, which is huge to know and no I. Now, one vowel is not a lot for a five letter word and A isn't one you see doubled next to another A. For my second guess, it is worth looking for another vowel. Often I would have guessed with an O, but I did not quickly think of a word with "OA", like "BOARS". But I just don't think plural nouns come up often, in my time playing. I've noticed that. I decided I wanted to make sure S wasn't the first letter before trying to put it on the back. A LOT of possible words I thought of ended in S, but knowing only one other consonant which wasn't in the front made me want to try the other because I have a hard time thinking of words from somewhere other than the start of them. So what could the last 2 letters be if not S_ or E_? I knew 3 of 5 letters, it probably involved A. Not many endings with _a. Went with a_. Then filled it in with letters I didn't know, including trying a vowel since I only knew 1 and it seemed very very likely there was another among U, O, and Y. And in that process I saw S-U-G-A-R, which would rearrange all known letters and introduce two new ones, both solid letters to check. Could have easily guessed BOARS instantly, but I just didn't think that would have really been the word. I don't think I have seen a plural word.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This guy does not

arson

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Valid guess. It is obviously some luck to get these in the first couple of shots.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

5 today. I also guessed RAISE first. Then ARSON. Then SWARM. Them SPRAY. By that point letter placement took me to SUGAR but geez. I couldn’t win after getting those first 3 letters but in the wrong places