MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is stupid:

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If Babe Ruth played today he’d be a product of today’s system/habits and he’d still be a HoFer

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Walter Johnson laughs at this tweet.

4. NorrisAlan

Best reply:

"Not bad for a 126 year old"

A-Smith likes this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And even if he was a lazy, gluttonous, drunk, he'd still be Adam Dunn I think. They had a 15 inch mound, deader baseballs, and pitchers threw spitballs when Ruth played.

(no clue about Dunn's character, just making a baseball comparison)

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah and Ruth had good stats against the Big Train.

7. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Maybe, but if you’re analyzing that video the average modern day girls HS softball player has a better looking swing than that. So I mean yeah if you plopped that guy into the batters box today he would suck.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Never realized he swung like that. I dont know if Babe woulda gotten 1 hit off Maddux. He'd be out of the box as one cuts over the corner

9. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

That swing makes Bartolo Colon look like Manny Ramirez.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I’m happy for Big Papi, but no Bonds, Clemens, or Schilling is a joke.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Baseball writers

justingroves likes this.
  12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

That’s why Halls of Fame, Heisman Trophies and MVP awards don’t mean squat to me any more. Especially the Heisman. It hasn’t been about the “best player” for decades now. It’s been about the highest profile offensive player (with one notable exception…) on the top team and nothing more. Like almost any college or pro awards related stuff, it’s a joke.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

If Peyton could've mustered a .250 winning percentage against Florida, he probably takes home the Heisman.

justingroves likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Peyton wasn't ever the best player in college ball.

InVolNerable likes this.
  15. Savage Orange

In almost any given year, the BEST player is usually on defense, imo… and they frequently play for a team that isn’t in contention for anything. they just don’t make the flashy plays or have the ball in their hands so you don’t really see it as much, which is my point anyway. The Heisman always comes down to being a beauty contest, not a recognition of the actual best player in the country.

16. NorrisAlan

It's now best QB on the best team. Same as NFL MVP (for the most part)

CitrusCo.Vol and justingroves like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Randy Moss should have won it in 97

InVolNerable and Savage Orange like this.
  18. Savage Orange

Agreed.

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I don't think you can tell the full story of baseball without Bonds or Clemens, but at least the prudes that makeup the club of baseball writers can wrongfully cling to steroids as a reason to keep them out. But what is the beef with Schilling? Unless I'm woefully mistaken and completely misremembering the facts, he was one of the few superstars of that era that was never caught up in the PED scandals. He is one of only 19 pitchers in MLB history that is in the 3000+ strikeout club. And of the 19 pitchers with 3000+ strikeouts, he has the highest strikeout-to-walks ratio of any of them. Anyone who actually understands baseball realizes how impressive that stat is for a pitcher. Dude epitomized efficiency. He had total command of the zone and didn't waste pitches. Tied for 3rd all time with the most 300+ strikeouts recorded in a season. He has a lower career ERA than quite a few HOF pitchers.

He is also basically the Reggie Jackson of pitchers in the postseason. 11-2 record with the highest winning percentage of all-time amongst any pitcher with at least 10 post season starts. 3 world series rings and 1 World Series MVP. Can't think of many pitchers from his era-if any-that I would trust more with the rock in a playoff elimination game. He's like the anti-Kershaw of playoff pitching. Why he is being black-balled by the baseball writers makes zero sense to me.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm not sure he was ever the best player in Knoxville.

InVolNerable likes this.