Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If R's wanted to go down the mental illness path, I'd be all for it.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It's been 23 years since Columbine, it's been 10 years since Newtown, 4 years since Parkland and Santa Fe.

None of those changed a thing and, unfortunately, this situation won't either. We live in a [uck fay]ed up country that hasn't figured how to make the slightest improvement in this area in a quarter of a century and instead accepts kids getting killed at school as an unfortunate reality. People have tossed out their thoughts and prayers and then the majority of the country will have pushed this to the back of their minds by the time they are on the lake for Memorial Day.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

In context or out of it, this is such a sad sentence.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't know if correlation = causation but this looks pretty damning.

Maybe it is automatic rifles mixed with the increased individualism/isolation (bowling alone phenomenon) that tech/the economy has created. But our social fabric is just messed up right now, and I am not sure it can be glued back together. Combine that with easy access to guns, and this is what we get.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That chart is pretty [uck fay]ing ugly.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can see the little clump that triggered the ban too. Immediately surpassed when lifted

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

To the extent that it can be glued back together, it won’t be any time soon because the people who have access to the glue won’t allow it to be used and claim that they are not capable of producing it.

9. HCKevinSteele

I haven’t had time to read a ton mostly just scrolled twitter some, but from hat I’ve seen it sounds like this is turning into a spin/PR disaster of epic proportions.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are some expectations that were not met by the response. Basic expectations.

11. HCKevinSteele

No doubt. I pulled the below from a twitter thread I saw a few minutes ago that summarizes part of what I was thinking:

what seems like an unprecedented deluge of lies and misinformation from the Uvalde police is actually a pretty standard amount of dishonesty from cops. they're just not used to anyone analyzing or questioning their narratives.

this is also why police departments will often seem shockingly bad at putting together plausible stories -- it's just not a skill they ever really need, because every political, cultural, and legal institution gives them the benefit of the doubt no matter what.

IP and justingroves like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

…in Nooga last night. Not too many reports out but seems like it could be gang related or a group of thugs involved vs 1 lone crazy shooter, which means less news coverage. 6 shot is all I’ve seen so far.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I saw 8 shot

14. HCKevinSteele

Pulled from Twitter:

Biden, talking about "rational gun laws," says this morning that a "9 mm bullet blows the lung out of the body."

"There’s simply no rational basis for it in terms of self protection, hunting," he added, per pool report.

—————

That Obama quote warning folks not to “underestimate Joe’s ability to f**k things up” hits more with each passing day.

There are plenty of gun owners in this country who believe changes are needed. I’m one of them. But a quote like this provides plenty of cover for Republicans to stonewall.

justingroves likes this.
  15. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

If you’d like to see reform, but your elected officials aren’t doing anything about it, this seems like a great opportunity to see more clearly members of the Republican Party who best represent your views and may be able to meet in the middle on these issues rather than “stonewall.”

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Joe just needs to quit talking

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. HCKevinSteele

I’m not going toss aside anything our president says, even if it may be the ramblings of a senile old man. If that’s the angle Democrats want to play I’m fine with stonewalling.

19. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Well the issue to me is more that there’s progress to be made in the middle, and both sides could work to save the lives of our children. Stonewalling does nothing, and I hope that you won’t be “fine” with outcomes that come with a lack of progress in prevention of these shootings.

Trust me, I’m very disappointed in the current administration and lack of deliverance on promises despite opportunity. Both parties seem to be bought and paid for at this point, so I hope that one day we might can elect people who actually fight for our interests.

Edit just to add: Biden isn’t going to do shit, and we all know it. He’ll talk “tough” and feign strong emotion for a few weeks, but it won’t lead to anything.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    InVolNerable likes this.
  20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Fighting over red and blue is just a distraction. The authoritative power in this country is the judiciary, and they aren't going to allow much restriction here, whether it be brilliant otherwise.

InVolNerable and Volsdude like this.