Tipping in the US

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My first job ever was bagging groceries at Butler & Bailey, back in the day when you actually did take them out to the car for people. Tips were pretty decent.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have helped elders loads tuff before and they have tried to tip but I wasn't working, I was just helping out (was Lowe's or Home Depot or something, so they had no issue getting to their car but were not able to unload well). Clearly the elders know what's up. That was like 15 years ago though.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You're tipping for cleaning up after you.

How is this hard? It doesn't matter if they are cleaning up after you mid stay, or full stay, they are cleaning up after YOU.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

If I was working a shit job (like cleaning toilets, wiping up piss on a floor, picking up dirty towels/rags, changing sheets) at minimum wage, I would appreciate those that left me a little cash. I would probably "exceed requirements" in their room and "meet requirements" in those that don't. That is just me, I can be a petty grunt if I want to be.

The grocery baggers/car loaders can't accept (not supposed to) accept tips over here. If you are a regular and they know you won't rat them out accepting a tip for loading the car, they will take a $5 handshake.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's because I already did, and she can only handle one tip at a time.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I worked at the Regal Green Hills in high school. Frank Wycheck would roll through about once a month with a bunch of teammates and tip anyone and everyone that helped $20. I wouldn't say I'm in quite as fortunate of a financial situation as Wycheck, but I still like to pay that forward whenever I can.

Poppa T likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm just trying to identify some sort of difference between the 3 steps (ringing up, bagging, carrying to car) that isn't completely arbitrary and causes one to require a tip but not the other two.

8. fl0at_

Tipping a barber after a haircut makes complete logical sense.

People have variation in hair styles and length. For some people, a "men's haircut" means cutting a lot. For other people, a "men's haircut" means cutting only a little.

Because it is something custom, to you, you tip. The alternative is that you sit down, and the barber gives you a quote on your specific requests.

And since that is dumb, we tip. How have you made it 30 or so years thinking that customization requiring tips is "illogical"?

justingroves likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you tip the person you leave your rental car with after you drop it off?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You sure you didn't just completely make this up?

So if I request little to no "customization," I'm not expected to tip as much as someone with significant customization?

11. fl0at_

What part do you find made up, that a "men's haircut" is different across different people, or that you should tip on customization?

Which part are you struggling with?

I doubt your hair cut from super cuts needs more than a $3 tip.

12. fl0at_

I've never rented a car, but I'd tip the people who clean the interior, if there was a way to get the tip to them. I doubt the person taking possession is the cleaning crew.

Generally the hotel check in/out person doesn't walk in the room, so I'm fairly confident that the cleaning staff gets the money.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't, they charge a fee if I leave a mess and they certainly aren't giving it to me very clean.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How have you made it to whatever age you are without having ever rented a car?

Seems like you should find the person who cleans the car. They are cleaning up after you, after all.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn't say I'm struggling. I said I think you made it up. I think people tip barbers for similar reasons that they tip waiters. It's a personal service, a good job or a bad job can be done, and, sometimes, they get paid less based on the fact that they do get tips.

Is there something wrong with people who get their hair cut at Super Cuts?

16. fl0at_

Why would I need to rent a car? I don't fly, I drive everywhere. I'm going to Chicago this summer. I'm driving. My last trip from Memphis to Kalispell, MT? I drove.

How would I find the person that cleans the car? Again, I know house keeping is coming in the room.

I have no idea if someone will even clean the car. And nor do you.

17. fl0at_

What part did I make up? You're the one who believes it doesn't make logical sense to tip the barber. So don't pretend that personal service has anything to do with tipping--if you still, very few hours later--still find it illogical to tip the barber. Unless you are now concluding that personal service is illogical to tip? Which would be odd, given that you've made it a point.

A comedian once noted that super cuts sponsored with MLB, the sport where you always where a hat--because that's what you'll need after getting a hair cut at super cuts... a hat. Do with that as you will.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I get cheap haircuts. Usually $12-$15 and I tip $4. #2 on back and sides and taper it up. Chop it up up top. Cowlick either cut down all the way or let it ride. No need to pay more

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. fl0at_

When I have short hair, I have 3 cowlicks, all different directions, so I tip $5.

Ssmiff likes this.
  20. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I tip generously on haircuts. It usually still ends up benefiting me because the person that cuts my hair takes care of my beard too and doesn’t charge me extra.

Nothing humans do surprise me though. I tip at an open bar at a wedding and there are people out there that think that isn’t necessary. I don’t get it.

justingroves likes this.