2022 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by utvol0427, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Friday was close despite their early explosion. Just couldn’t get the bats going today. Even with the errors, if we hit like normal, it’s at least a game.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They literally scored four runs off of Lipscomb failing to pick up a ground ball and throw to first.

Us leaving so many on when their pitchers were struggling just killed our margin for error. I don’t think Notre Dame left a runner on base all game and we were just awful with runners in scoring position all game. That was also a big factor in going down last year.

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Having witnessed this exact scenario last year, I’ll have to disagree. Braves had a pretty middling regular season last year. I’ll always take the ring.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

See the 2004 and 2006 cardinals.

Postseason baseball is a different animal.

5. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Never apologize for a championship. For most of us, they’re rare.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I honestly got a bad feeling in my gut after we came out of the first with just a single run. That pitcher was shook, and we didn’t make them pay.

CitrusCo.Vol and Tar Volon like this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People on Twitter acting like UT fans are on suicide watch after the loss… don’t they know how accustomed we are to underperforming at this point? It’s literally in our DNA.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Can we land that NC State kid? Between him and the Kansas kid and our freshmen this year we may not see much of a drop off with our offense.

9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I think he goes to Florida.

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Same.

11. CardinalVol

Just the contrast. The 04 team won 105 games and couldn't put their pants on right in the series.

The 06 team won 82 games and resembled a coach pitch team most of the year and won the series.

Postseason baseball is a different game.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Yeah, he was all over the place. Looked like he would have rather been anywhere in the world other than the mound.

Once the Rao kid came in, knew we were in a dog fight, we needed to put some crooked numbers up on their starter. We failed.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kinda have felt this coming as others have. We peaked earlier in the year. It’s hard to be the target all year, especially baseball where one bad move or error changes the game.
    Great year. Disappointed. Opposing fans on twitter are as sad as people can be. Not seeing Burke or Beam or Fireman in last game kinda sucks

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was a good season and an SEC championship was won. Coach Vitello will have them in the mix more often than not. Looking forward to the Fall.

15. KyleAlexanderfan

The anti Vitello/Vols opposing fans are going to be sorely disappointed over the next few years as we continue to be a consistent top team in the conference. They think we are done. As long as Vitello is here…

16. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Yeah this was a great ride. Sucks it ended this way, but this team was a blast. Hope Vitello brings this much moxie for years to come. Middle fingers held high to the rest of the league.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

What’s with baseball fans cheering on MLB managers getting tossed but then scolding college coaches for doing the same thing? Lol.

18. CardinalVol

So anyway, it sucks, but this team was fun as all get out and gave the fan base a much needed shot in the arm. I wish that it would have ended in omaha, but the things I've been worried about since Kentucky series got us today.

Still, nothing to be ashamed of. And these boys ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

VOLinDAWGland, NorrisAlan and Ssmiff like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I know we upgrade as ss. Burke at first? Luc has been great in the field. Replace Trey, Beck and Drew. People will need to chill next year when we don’t look as good though. This was possibly a once in a lifetime team. Arguably the goat until today.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The thing that gets me most is that pitching depth was the weapon that should’ve mattered in a three-game series, and we had an obvious advantage and came out of it up one run. Just such a missed opportunity.

But of all the sports on campus that I even vaguely follow, baseball is the only one where I feel good about winning a title in the next five years. Hoops and softball will always be in the tournament but have never hit dominance. Baseball might be weird in the tournament, but they hit a level we haven’t seen from other teams in a while.