Excitement building for 2022

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Look at this route design by heup. The 4th option has nobody within 15 yards. Watched the safety make a choice on the post and hit Hiatt. He’s gonna outnumber or outscheme you and force dbs to pick a man then throw to the other one.

Attached Files:

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's a damn cheeser

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ah, the shimmey. Makes my cold heart warm again.

VolDad likes this.
  4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

i don’t care if they’re 10 hrs as long as we win

CardinalVol, Volokie and IP like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could you imagine dragging bama's ass up and down the field for 6 hours on the way to a win?

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would watch that on repeat for 24 hours straight.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This is the kind of stuff Spurrier would do. All we need is a somewhat accurate Qb and give him a little time, and we'll pick you apart. Then, we'll break off some big runs when the d is on their heels.

CardinalVol and zehr27 like this.
  8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I realize this is going to sound ridiculous, but I actually think our offense needs to find a way to be more efficient. They do a great job of scheming guys open, especially for explosive plays, but imagine if we could marry that to the short passing game, kind of how Miss St has. We are much more limited in that but it IS in the offense at least. The drag route that Holloway dropped against Florida, for example. It feels like we rely too much on just bubble screens and slants to open up the big plays outside, for the sake of getting the big play. Again, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think the team becomes much better if we can diversify our short passing game and keep ahead of the chains. Because there are for sure times where the offense hits a lull and thats what really hurts our defense, giving teams 4-5 looks in a quarter to get us figured out.

TDVol1989, SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  9. Ssmiff

I’m sure we will see growth in that area. Really hard to believe we put up numbers like we did last year in yr 1. excuse me, year 0

OneForVol likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel's offense has done that everywhere else, he's gotten better at it as a play caller. He's talked about grinding clock when he needs to in interviews at UCF.

It's hard not to go deep if it's there though

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

After rewatching the Kentucky game last night I realize how much our Defense needs to improve.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I want to be excited, but I've been let down too many times.

13. Ssmiff

slaughter got picked on at nickel. We lacked speed at db except for Taylor. Interior DL didnt do much and lb play with Banks has to pick up. And if we are going to play so many defensive plays we need quality depth to play more

14. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

If we weren't so damn awful on 3rd & 4th and short we would've been ridiculously good on offense last year.

ptclaus98 and justingroves like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will be better this year in the front 7, but it will be young guys providing depth. I believe Christian Charles is a star in the defensive backfield if he can stay healthy but there's a lot of just flat out unknowns there too.

I'm not worried about the offense, especially if they use a bigger back at times

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's an 8 or 9 win team most likely.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's more like it. This is my safe space.

18. Ssmiff

I saw a tweet where I believe the refs are going to crack down on the GA DL shift Kirby uses to get the OL to jump. Always thought that was pretty weak ploy.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is there to crack down on? They are not doing anything against the rules.

We used to do it in the 90s and 00s under Chavis, I believe

justingroves likes this.
  20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Charles coming on and Turrentine making an instant impact would drastically improve our defense and win total. Honestly would improve mine by 3 games