What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

100% chance I'd be returning the laptop.

2. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Yeah no doubt. If you can’t charge it, then you have a shitty desktop instead of a laptop.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Problem is, I don’t have a great alternative. The sales I took advantage of previously aren’t around anymore, so if I want to buy something else now, I’m going to pay more. And if I want to just wash my hands of the whole thing, I’m losing money on all the extra cables and accessories I bought to make the setup work.

And if I’m being honest, aside from the battery, I like the laptop and have felt that it works pretty well.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, I can charge it. I just have to plug it in with the charger that came with the laptop. So when I use it in my office, I have to plug the dock into it to get it on the monitors and then plug the power supply into it to charge it. I’d prefer just plugging in the dock, but it’s not the end of the world.

It’s still able to be used away from the office/dock as well. Battery life just isn’t the best, though apparently that’s the norm for gaming laptops?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

One alternative I’ve considered is just building a desktop and then buying the now wife a separate, less powerful laptop that can still do what she needs to do.

My understanding is that I can get a similarly powerful desktop for cheaper than what I paid for the laptop. And she doesn’t need a $2k laptop to do what she wants to do.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Called Lenovo sales team (per direction of the service team member last night) to see what they could do to remedy my situation. First guy sounded concerned and interested in helping out but made it clear he didn't have the power to do so. Wanted to connect me with a manager to try to get the process rolling. Mentioned that someone on that level could potentially help out with some sort of credit to hopefully make things right.

He transferred me without warning, and someone from the customer service team picked up. She had been given no notes or background on the story I had just told the other guy. Had no idea why I had been transferred to her. She then tried to send me back to the original guy. Instead, I ended up on the "end of call - how was your experience with Lenovo?" survey. Another 20 minutes down the drain.

I called sales team back. The next lady was less concerned and not at all interested in helping out. Said she could not connect me with a manager and had no idea why the last guy said he could. Also said she had no idea why service team sent me to sales (because there is nothing sales can do to help), but that that they do so all the time. When I pointed out that she was essentially writing the book for why the company is a dumpster fire and how the customer service experience is a never ending maze of misery, she got snippy with me. So I told her to connect me to the people that get this Lenovo garbage out of my life.

Laptop is going back. 0 stars, would not buy again. Worst customer experience I have ever had.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Try Toshiba. I've heard good things.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

ha ha

I’ve got a cart loaded up on Newegg and Amazon ready for some deals tomorrow, hopefully. Gonna just build a desktop.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bought the components for the desktop.

10. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Beat dark souls 3. Pretty sweet. Thinkin of going to ori and the will of the wisps next

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Enlisted is all in all a good game. Scattered player base which sucks, but may get crwcking on it again

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Parts are rolling in. Everything should be here by end of day Saturday, so I should be set up this weekend, assuming my software engineer buddies are able to walk my ignorant-of-computers ass through how to set it up over facetime.

Pretty much everything is the same as what I was getting with the laptop, except the processor is a bit better, and I bumped up from 32 GB RAM to 64 GB.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

What are you doing for cooling?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

emainvol likes this.
  15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Spent the whole day building it over discord with a couple buddies who have done multiple builds.

Got everything plugged in and set up, plugged it into the wall….. nothing. Lol

Trying to figure out why it’s got no power now.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have power. So many lights lol

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Long day, but it’s set up and running.

Power wasn’t working because something wasn’t plugged in completely to the power supply.

Then had to take it downstairs (with a monitor) to plug it directly into the modem to get internet to setup windows. It came with a WiFi antenna, but I had to download a driver for that… which I couldn’t download until I had internet… which I could only get downstairs. So that was annoying.

Anyone got any recommendations for a solid Bluetooth gaming headset?

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

How much do you want to spend? HyperX makes super solid, comfortable sets and they have a Bluetooth set (Cloud Core) that will set you back about 70 bucks

Buuuuuuut, you just spent all that money on a gaming PC, so if you can afford it, I’d probably drop a little more and get the highest quality sound you can get at a reasonable price. With HyperX that’s probably the Cloud Alpha. Not Bluetooth, but I imagine you have plenty of USB ports available for the dongle

There’s several good to great brands out there, so it will come down to budget and personal taste.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-wireless-gaming-headset/

I can vouch for HyperX, and Razer despite their faults does make a couple quality sets. I’ve heard great things about SteelSeries sets but the high end ones are real pricey.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’ve built 4, and I think 3 of them I managed to not fully plug in the power to the motherboard