The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah and people were pissed that it wasn’t enough

droski likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should be nearing the top now on inflation after today’s release.

It’s spilled into the service side so still going to be sticky and high inflation but hopefully we’ve topped.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

People's spending behavior is now changing too, creating headwinds

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

commodities have been hit pretty hard and priced in a global recession. Copper has really been hammered showing a predicted slow down in manufacturing

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lumber finally going down

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Small business owner sentiment lowest it’s ever been in the 40 years of it being surveyed

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That was a fun bull market rally but September is about to get ugly

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

People are finally waking to the fed is trying to torpedo the labor market

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

i think they’re more wanting to crash asset prices but the labor market will be a casualty of that too.

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don’t know everything I’ve been reading suggests they are over the newfound power labor has. This scare/recession will be great for companies that want to force workers back into the office as well.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t read it this way.

The strong labor market is allowing the fed to be hawkish as that’s part of their mandate full employment with stable prices, and they have to fight and win this battle with inflation or they lose all credibility.

The question is can/will they keep rates sustained at higher levels and not pivot like they have every time the market hits a hiccup since 08

Also this is going to be the first month that the fed rolling off assets off the balance sheet actually settles, so it will be curious if the market handles it like 18’

12. HCKevinSteele

A strong labor market. Full employment. May be true but Americans aren’t in very good financial shape right now. Simply put a lot of powerful folks see a recession as a good way to tamp down labor power, we can argue whether it’s good policy outside of that but it won’t make it less true.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wage inflation is one of the key components to inflation.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Workers have just took one of the largest hair cuts on real wages in America history the last 18 months.

HCKevinSteele and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My buying power is a fraction of what it was two years ago. My wife had to go back to work or we were in trouble. She starts her new job in two weeks, and it cannot come soon enough.

16. HCKevinSteele

I'm 29 and single and very fortunate to have bought a new (to me) car and house in 2020. I've got a good/stable job so I'm very fortunate, but this market right now is just insane. Even with wages having gone up some, the price of houses, cars, food, everything really, is just not sustainable economically or politically.

17. NorrisAlan

Dammit, gas prices went up for the first time in a while. I have come to loathe paying for gasoline and those that charge me so much for it.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Credit Suisse currently hanging on by a thread.

Here we go again.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I give you all darn near perfection -

AbeFroman, Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

My closet full of Beanie Babies™ are laughing their asses off.