OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

317 miles is the perfect distance. Can be there in ~5 hours if needed but don’t have to go put in thr wi-fi password and stuff like that

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not trying to be heartless, but it is normal/ok to take 3 days off because your dog died? Pretty sure I didn’t take that many days off when my dad died

justingroves likes this.
  3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve lost dogs but it was as a kid and it was the family dog. It was not MY dog. Will be absolutely gutted when my dog dies, probably as much as a close family member.

Seems a bit much to me, but if they’ve got the time to miss work, then whatever.

NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's [uck fay]ing weird.

5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

No that’s weird as shit. Now, I mostly work from home these days and I can tell you work from home or not I’d probably not be very productive for a week plus if my dog died tomorrow. But how do you take off? You just laying in bed sobbing? Bizarre.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But there are a lot of "dog parents" out there that treat their dogs like little kids. So who is to say how much grief they will suffer.

If they have the time off, take it. If not, give them a day to grieve and then get back to work

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this isn’t me discounting it because it’s a dog per se. But I don’t get There is literally one thing I need her to do which can be done remotely and would take 15 minutes tops and she’s like “it can wait until Monday, I need time to greave.” And I replied I’d appreciate if she could do it sometime tomorrow.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You should give her a whole lot of extra unexpected time to grieve.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

she would have been fired long ago if covid didn’t hit and I thought I could hire someone better and train them properly and not have to pay a lot more.

10. HCKevinSteele

Yep, that's absurd.

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I went to work to stop myself from soaking in the emptiness of the house, personally. She was my legitimate best friend, I find it best to try and keep the mind occupied. Of course we've all got different mechanisms for dealing with things like that, who's to say anyone else's is wrong.

justingroves, VolDad and droski like this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ive never had to deal with an employee I needed to motivate so I’ve been way too lax. My prior assistant never requested anything off. I had to tell her to take days off, but this one has one “disaster” after another and what do you say? I don’t believe you? I think it’s ridiculous? Tough

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Its pretty sad when attendance is an issue with an adult, she seems to know how to play the game. May need to find a way to "performance manage" her into a new career elsewhere.

droski likes this.
  14. HCKevinSteele

I mean without knowing more, if it was me I’d tell her I’m very sorry about her loss while expressing the critical nature of the task. If I’m being honest I’d probably do whatever it is you need her to do myself if I could.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I said I’m sorry for your her loss but I’d appreciate it if she did it sometime tomorrow. If it was easy for me to do myself I’d do it but she has all the info which I’d have to get from her anyway

16. HCKevinSteele

Gotcha. Tough spot. Personally I hate awkward confrontation so I’m the kind of guy that avoids these kinds of conversations as much as I possibly can. Fortunately the only person I’ve ever had perform terribly working under me was already on a performance plan so I didn’t really have to make any real effort to fix the situation before they were encouraged to look for new opportunities.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

One 15 minute task is reasonable, she's being dramatic. Taking 3 days is one thing, doing so while not conceding a 15 min task is another.

justingroves, NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m a results guy. I don’t care about facetime. Get your shit done well and I don’t care. But she finds any excuse possible to “”work from home” or take personal days. And I haven’t been diligent about tracking it which is dumb. I mean it’s not like funeral arrangements need to be made or whatever. I’m an easy going guy but I didn’t think it was unreasonable to ask for one fairly easy urgent task to get done.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  19. HCKevinSteele

I’m the same way. I don’t try to monitor or hover over the people under me unless they show me they aren’t capable of operating on their own. Fortunately I’ve got some really good folks working under me so I rarely get burned on this approach.

droski likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

[uck fay] that when Lenny dies I’m gonna be crushed and worthless for a bit. I’ll handle a few things but gimme some time. Don’t need completely off work but don’t want to talk to or see anybody either so gotta make it work .
    Dogs are better beings than people and their human family knows it. Absolutley amazing souls.

Joseph Brant likes this.