We Beat Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Sep 24, 2022.

1. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

The PFF grading system sucks for OL.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It kind of sucks in general

YankeeVol, ole_orange and SetVol13 like this.
  3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I only brought it up because someone referenced Mincey's grading vs our other OL.

My eye test, what little it's worth, shows our OL did a damned good job last night so PFF be damned.

SetVol13 likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hooker being awesome helps hide some of our OL issues.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

OL is far from perfect, but we’ve had a lot worse OLines in recent history than this unit

DC Vol, SetVol13, IP and 2 others like this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay. Are you just making a statement, or has someone argued otherwise?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you finding disagreement in his statement?

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It’s almost like an elite QB makes everyone in the organization from the players to janitorial staff who sweeps the floors look a little bit better. Not exactly a brilliant observation.

This Oline however is far from being the weakest unit on the field, especially when you compare them to most every other line we’ve had recently.

We haven’t had a bonafide kick ass SEC caliber oline since 2012 when Pittman was in charge of that position, and even that particular unit was held back by Dooley being a doofus

Memtownvol, TDVol1989, DC Vol and 2 others like this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t think his post really made much sense as a response to what I posted. I wasn’t sure why he quoted me, so I asked to gain a better understanding.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People on the previous page were wondering why the OL graded out worse than people remembered them looking. Sorry for pointing out the reason? It’s more his legs than him being elite in general, but that’s fine.

Again, I don’t know if you’re just making statements or if you think you’re arguing with me. Have I said the OL is the weakest unit on the field?

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think its a little of A and a little of B.

The OL were giving him plenty of time to set and throw for the most part and were opening good lanes for, honestly, 2 fairly pedestrian RBs. There were some spots where blitz pickup was an issue but by memory that's more on the RB.

And Wright is no Jalen Hurd in that regard.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

PFF could cure cancer and all I’ll remember is them trying to tell me Jarret Guantanamo was a good qb for 2 years

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'm proud of him. From the snap of the ball to seconds after the whistle, he wasn't giving an inch to whomever had the misfortune of engaging him. He waged a battle all day long and I don't believe I've ever seen a guy play an entire game with such a sustained level of fury.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Finding and securing a good DB coach is one of our glaring needs. I’d be shocked if this was news to Heuple. Don’t get me wrong I think our DBs tried hard Saturday using athleticism, but they do need a better coach.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

you said we have OL issues. He points out he’s seen much worse. As have I Hooker isn’t completing 72% of his passes and like 37/3 because the OL sucks. He’s had time. Some holes for rbs aren’t there but defenses are crashing in hard, leaving the qb keeper open.

Memtownvol and SetVol13 like this.
  16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

We had nearly 600 yards of offense and averaged 5 yards a carry running the ball. It’s a much improved unit from last year, so it’s difficult for me to understand how anyone could think we have issues at this point.

Memtownvol, VolDad and justingroves like this.
  17. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Smiff also makes a good point about crashing on the ball carrier. That’s a big reason why there wasn’t gaping holes against Akron and Ball St. They knew Hooker wasn’t gonna run.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Are you capable of debating without putting words in my mouth? I never said the OL sucks. Why are you using those words and responding as if I said the OL sucks?

I said Hooker helps to mask some of our OL issues. You gonna make an argument that the OL doesn’t have any issues at all? Because my statement doesn’t deny that I’ve seen worse OLines, nor does it deny that they look much improved from last year. You’re arguing with nothing.

We don’t run a lot of slow developing passing plays, so I’d probably point more to the playcalling and route combos, as well as Hooker’s legs, for explaining his success, than I would the OL just straight up protecting him forever. I want more data before judging the run game. Struggled at Pitt. Ran all over Florida, but so has everyone else.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Florida isn’t good at defense. 1-3 USF ran for nearly 300 yards on them the week before. I think they’re giving up like, 200+ ypg on the ground, so I’m not sure that pointing to 5 ypc against them means much.

It’s not like I’m saying the OL is atrocious, worse than last year, or any of that. Just pointed out that when you’ve got a QB who can turn a surefire sack into a 40+ yard run, he masks some the deficiencies.

Look at Richardson on Saturday. We only had 1 sack the entire game, but it’s not because the OL was protecting him well. And that’s even considering that they ran a lot more slow-developing play action than we did.

20. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Florida actually has a solid offensive line. Not sure where you are getting that either.

Memtownvol likes this.