POLITICS Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jan 22, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Nah. Pretty sure an asteroid the size of Texas would require nukes.

Also yea DART successfully impacted, but per NASA we still don’t know yet what the ultimate results are. Cant get ahead of ourselves

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...-on-dart-world-s-first-planetary-defense-test

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never understood what "size of Texas" meant. Texas is a 2 dimensional area. It's width is greater than Ceres, the largest asteroid in the solar system. So were they saying an asteroid larger than Ceres (discovered in 1801) just evaded detection right up until it was months from hitting Earth? Kinda wild. I like our chances of that not coming up so abruptly. And if it doesn't, small nudges can have large effects.

In terms of not getting ahead of ourselves, nukes haven't ever been used at all like that, so...

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

From Reddit :

Vladimir Putin was being briefed by one of his top generals.

"I've good news and bad news for you this morning, sir."

"Let's hear the good news," the president replied.

"Intelligence reports indicate that the latest additions to the Ukranian arsenal are damaged and outdated, and many won't pose any threat to us at all."

"That's excellent! Finally, things might be starting to turn our way! What's the bad the news?"

The general shifted in his seat and looked down at the table. "A large amount of our best weapons and munitions have just been captured, sir."

utvol0427, SetVol13, tvolsfan and 2 others like this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Because an asteroid “the size of Texas” hurtling towards Earth is the premise of the story, and nuking it is the only hope for life on Earth. It’s just a movie. Don’t even get me started on how we needed our nukes in Independence Day.

Might as well throw nukes at a potential planet threatening asteroid or comet just to be safe. I’d like to think we’d throw the kitchen sink at it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay but using the nukes against the aliens without first getting past their shields in Independence Day was a big mistake. They made Houston uninhabitable for decades for nothing.

This line of conversation started with you being scared of nuclear hellfire, now you are like the mutants worshipping the ICBM in Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Worshiping nukes? Okie dokie.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have been at my father in laws house the last three days, and he has Fox news on 24/7, so I am about to mad.

That said, I find it odd that they are fixated on the Armageddon statement by Biden vs the threat by a world leader to use nukes without provocation from other nukes, but in a tactical sense. They aren't even discussing this, but blasting Biden.

Has the world gone mad? Don't Look Up seems to have nailed the current environment.

And before it comes up as, the whataboutism that MSNBC would be doing the same if a GOP president did this, I agree. Not the point of my post, just that a lot of the media has seemed to have lost their [uck fay]ing minds

8. Joseph Brant

Looks like another front opening om the Belarusian border.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The drip of "last winter" "taking crimea in spring" makes me think ukraine is going for Crimea this year.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

11. Joseph Brant

I think that may be a bridge too far as far as their fighting to maintain their borders etc. Crimea has been more or less Russian for 125+ years, culturally. And the powers that be in Russia won't be keen on giving up a warm water port.

Of course this thing has defied logic from day 1.

12. Joseph Brant

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A-Smith and Joseph Brant like this.
  14. Joseph Brant

100%. Russia has always had a habit of warning the world that someone is about to do what they actually plan to do.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One would think I'd fully support the "Progressive Caucus", but these people, in this instance, can [uck fay] right off. This "Don't you want peace?" vein running through the left which cohabitates with the Trumpers on Ukraine is so damn naive. The general chatter lies around fears of "nuclear war" and "escalation", despite the obviousness of Russia using these threats to corral weak minded folks (those below) into "negotiating" a deal the Russians would love to achieve now, as the Ukrainians continue to push them back. So idiotic.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Russian influence is on the far left too. It is a line/thought being fed and taken uncritically. If you are silly enough to think communism is good, you are silly enough to accept usa/capitalism is always bad and not understand what modern russia represents. What the invasion of Ukraine represents. So many "decolonize" types don't recognize the attempted colonization going on right now. Today.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's how we get shit heads like Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Aaron Mate, or Tulsi Gabbard (though I think she's more of an opportunist than affected by ideology) doing this sort of bidding where authoritarian cesspools like Russia are tolerated with limp wristed caveats, "Of course the Russian invasion of Ukraine is bad and illegal, but.....". The influence Russia has been able to peddle for an obviously far weaker nation than had been surmised is astonishing. The faster we are off the oil teet, the better.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Saudi Arabia and China are doing it, too. We are getting messed with in ways our egos won't accept.

19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Lumping Matt Taibbi and Tulsi Gabbard together feels disingenuous.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They believe what the corporate media tells them in the New York Times and other mainstream narratives.

Russia as we know it is over. The only thing being fought for now is the timeline on it. But now that they’ve started it, Russia can’t afford to lose it or they won’t be around in the next 10 years.

Peter Zeihan does a good job of covering the geopolitics of the war.

Joseph Brant likes this.