Bowl Season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 27, 2022.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here's how I THINK the rankings will look on Tuesday. Not what I want, but what I think.

1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. TCU
    4. USC
    5. Bama
    6. Ohio State
    7. Tennessee
    8. Penn State
    9. Washington
    10. Kansas State

I think the top 3 are in regardless. I also strongly think we should be 5, but I know what's coming. They are going to make excuses based on the exact opposite of what the criteria says. I could be shocked, but I'm not expecting it.

Given this, I stand by my prediction of a orange bowl versus Clemson or UNC.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

As much as I hate cheering for them in Charlotte, I like the Clemson matchup more than UNC by far. We get more respect for beating them, and they’re less likely to hang 60 on our secondary.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I think OSU falls to 5 and Bama moves to 6. OSU has only one loss and lost to #2.

Memtownvol, A-Smith, VolDad and 2 others like this.
  4. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I can see it now........USC and TCU both go down in their conference title games and Alabama recovers and miraculously winds up the #4 seed with 2 SEC losses on the year. I'm not saying that we should be in based on the USCjr debacle BUT we did beat Bama head-to-head. I guess they could always keep fOSU ahead of them and slide them into #4 if TCU and USC both lose. Then that way they can say they don't have an SEC bias and there would be a year for two teams from another conference both able to get into the playoffs.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  5. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

If both TCU and USC lose then both OSU and Bama could be in.

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If that happens, it SHOULD be OSU 3 and UT 4. But it likely would be OSU/Bama unfortunately, assuming we can’t somehow convince them to move us ahead of Bama between now and then.

Unless they somehow throw everyone a curveball and sneak Clemson back in there if they win next week. They have 2 losses and would have conference title advantage over UT and Bama.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I’m not sold that TCU is in with a loss next week. Brand power matters in these debates, fair or not.

Agree on Georgia and Michigan being locked in

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If TCU and USC both win, the field is set as in the OP

If one loses, OSU is in

If both lose, the debate is between Alabama, Tennessee, TCU, or Clemson for #4, unless Clemson loses to UNC.

9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Needless to say, the committee wants to see TCU and USC win. That makes their job a cake walk.

OneForVol likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As much as I’d love to make the playoff, I really don’t see us having much of a chance against Georgia with Milton at quarterback. Might prefer to just end up in the orange bowl like Card said, and whip the shit out of Clemson.

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’d rather lose a playoff game but I’ve accepted we won’t make the playoff. Winning the Orange is a nice consolation.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. Tar Volon

I’m still a little worried we’ll turn Uiagelelei into the same thing we turned Rattler into, but there’s certainly a path to a big win there, and I’d take it. Probably not over a playoff berth though.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Small and Wright only 2 rbs in history with 10 rushing tds in same season and we are 2 rushing tds from the school record.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine being in a conference so bad that you get to play [uck fay]ing Purdue in your conference championship.

A-Smith and utvol0427 like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t even think a defense as bad as ours can make that guy look good.

As far as the playoff, it just seems like a big win over Clemson in the orange bowl would be so much better for us on a number of levels then getting our teeth kicked in by Georgia by multiple touchdowns in the first round of the playoffs.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. Tar Volon

Wake did, though arguably their D is worse.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hmm...I wonder if both could hang 60 on us. I want to play the team w/o a run defense, and that is definitely UNC.

Tar Volon likes this.
  18. Tar Volon

It occurs to me that we are very much rooting against chaos this weekend—Purdue and LSU stealing spots could knock us all the way out of the NY6.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

And Anthony Richardson

Tar Volon likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm willing to bet the Sugar is begging and pleading to have us jump Bama.

OneForVol and NorrisAlan like this.