Bowl Season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 27, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The ESPN anchors on the CFP show all essentially agreeing that because Hooker now is hurt, that is the single determining factor for the Committee ranking Bammer higher than us. Might be the biggest horseshit CFP rank reasoning I've ever heard. That's just not how it works, or should work. You can't penalize teams for one player being injured. And of course ESPN follows up that BS by failing to even ask the Committee rep to explain why they have Bama over us. They just completely pretended like it didn't happen.

I think it's pretty obvious now what the Committee advertises as being the determining criteria they use is merely symbolic and performative. Shambolic garbage, bring back the BCS if criteria they specifically lay out isn't something they actually use in reality.

Also when the [uck fay] is Tennessee going to have an AD on one of these committees like some of these other schools somehow always find a way to have their people in the right places?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    zehr27 likes this.
  2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Also in the event nothing unforseen happens this Saturday, Ohio State is apparently politicking hard for an Orange Bowl bid over us because "they don't feel like playing in the Rose Bowl again" or some BS. Instead of getting a crack at Clemson in a primetime night slot, we would get to play in the Cotton Bowl at noon on a Monday in a no-win situation vs a highly motivated G5 opponent.

And you know what? I have zero doubt if that is indeed true that Ohio State will get what it wants just because of how things are not fair in this sport

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I can see why this makes sense from Ohio State’s perspective, but…doesn’t it defeat the entire purpose of tie-ins?

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Cotton is a crap bowl.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If the Rose tie-in just nopes out, send it to the next team in the rankings. A trip to Pasadena would be a nice cap on the season.

6. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

The Rose Bowl can tell Ohio State to suck ol' buck - literally and figuratively - and tell them they are coming whether they want it or not because that's how the freaking system works. What else are they going to do? Take Penn State? I'm sure the Rose Bowl will be very cool with the whole situation.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Technically the Orange Bowl can select an at large Big Ten team, but still. It's just make-up-the-rules as we go along favoritism bullshit if they actually are allowed ditch the Rose Bowl for another NY6 game of their personal choosing.

They are the highest ranked Big 10 team not going to the Playoffs, therefore in a year where the Rose Bowl isn't a CFP host Ohio State must go to Pasadena and be happy about it. I get why OSU might desire an Orange Bowl bid, but so what? Why is what they desire relevant to anything? It'd be one thing if we could agree to trade our spot at the Orange for their Rose Bowl spot, but of course that's *NOT* how it works. The only way this particular scenario would play out is Tennessee getting the shaft in favor of poor ole Ohio State.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If the Rose Bowl had any sense and weren't assholes about their "traditional rules" surrounding the game they would just say something like "[uck fay] you Ohio State, go to your Orange Bowl then, we are inviting Tennessee in your stead because they will gladly bring 60k Vols with them that would be thrilled to finally experience a Rose Bowl."

utvol0427 and A-Smith like this.
  9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Orange, Rose... I'm as likely to go to one as the other. That's not a 0%, BTW. I mean usually that would be the meaning behind that comment, but not this year.

IP likes this.
  10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I hold the Cotton Bowl in higher esteem than the freaking Peach Bowl in years neither host the CFP, but this year especially with them having both the automatic G5 bid and an atrocious time slot, it really sucks ass this year.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Cotton, chicken - same, same

12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Orange is fine by me. No complaints there. But if given a choice I'd definitely prefer a chance to experience the "Granddaddy of them all" at least once in my lifetime.

warhammer likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't think this really matters. No one will care in 5 months what bowl we played in, at least not more than whether we won.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could be dead [uck fay]ing wrong on that, though. I don't see the point of playing Tulane or whatever, so I guess there is that.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Agreed it isn't the end of the world either way in the long run. Just think it's BS if Ohio State is allowed to overturn the tie in thing and go to the NY6 Bowl of their choosing instead.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It's a no-win situation. We beat them? Nobody cares and notices. We lose to them? It's viewed as a national embarrassment of a loss

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

There is nothing like Pasadena and the Parade on a New Years Day in the morning followed by the Rose Bowl in the afternoon. Bucket List worthy.

warhammer and ole_orange like this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, I ain't going to Dallas if it comes to that. I've been there. I'm good.

TDVol1989 and ole_orange like this.
  19. sbradle4

sbradle4 Member

I feel like if the “Championships Won” criteria is historical, and not the current year, that should be specified. Maybe the idiots on the committee are interpreting it incorrectly

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Danny White should sue the NCAA for any amount less we receive than Alabama. Make those idiots prove their case and show their work.

warhammer likes this.