Bowl Season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 27, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't think it gets them more teams in, just better match-ups. I'm pretty sure Penn State would get in playing the G5 team in the Cotton Bowl if everyone went where they are supposed to go (North Alabama St. Rose, Tennessee Orange, Kid [uck fay]er State Cotton) and there weren't any upsets in the championship games.

NorrisAlan and Tar Volon like this.
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Best case scenario for us I think would be Utah stomping USC and Ohio State gets in as the 4 seed. I think that would guarantee us the Orange Bowl.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They will get two NY6 bowls regardless (probably). It's just a matter of whether it is Rose/Cotton or Orange/Rose

NorrisAlan and Tar Volon like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Maybe when LSU gets beat by UGA they will say bama's loss to them looks worse now because of their overall record. I am sure they could come up with some story like that to make it work.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I saw a service that put us in the Cotton against Tulane. I cannot imagine 1 person in America wanting to see that. If I were the Cotton Bowl Committee I think I would say, "No thanks, we will skip a game this year".

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Maybe it will be an interesting weekend. But if we get shanked we just have to beat the hell out them

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Corum is having knee surgery, time to kick Michigan out of the playoffs

A-Smith, Indy, utvol0427 and 2 others like this.
  8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I swear the whole punish an entire team and diminish the overall body of work "if a key player gets injured" logic was never a narrative I even knew could exist until 2 weeks ago. I just don't remember an entire team being dropped lower in rankings just because an individual player got hurt.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk, the Cotton Bowl is kinda stuck with that. They’d probably love to get Tennessee. At least they know Tennessee fans will watch it.

A-Smith, Tar Volon and IP like this.
  10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Tennessee vs Tulane in a Cotton Bowl is too 1930s for me. Give me an exciting opponent.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm not excited about the idea of playing a G5 in the Cotton Bowl, but as we've gone through this season correcting everything that has been wrong with our football program for the last 20 years, it almost seems like a fitting end to beat Tulane, the only other undefeated team in '98, in a NY6 bowl. Like destroying our last college football horcrux or something.

IP likes this.
  12. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Not that it will happen in one million years but I'd love to see the CFB world burn during these conference championship games just for shits and giggles and to see what utter nonsense the selection committee would come up with to justify their decisions.

LSU 34
    UGA 17

PURDUE 28
    MICHIGAN 10

KANSAS STATE 56
    TCU 24

UTAH 42
    USC 20

Then see what the bastards do

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Alabama
    Ohio State
    UGA
    Michigan

Would be your 4

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would piss a lot of people off. It would demonstrate that the preconceptions of the media at the start are ultimately the deciding influence on separating out the top. And that these playoffs/championships are no more legitimate than the BCS was.

VOLinDAWGland and Memtownvol like this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Bowls game committees don’t care about the matchup. They care about the money.

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Don't matchups impact the money?

17. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

With USC headed for a loss

If TCU wins, it’s almost certainly Orange Bowl

If TCU loses, and assuming the committee doesn’t change its mind on the Bama-UT debate, it’s either Sugar Bowl if the committee puts Bama in, or still Orange Bowl if they leave TCU in

18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

USC losing really helps. But I still think Hooker going down sucks for everyone. I want to win the bowl game. But I wanted him to win the Heisman. He is just a great guy. I hope Joe can manage because he stuck with it. That’s lost in our choke at USCJr. But an Orange Bowl win over Clemons and finishing top 5 would really legitimize our season

Tar Volon likes this.
  19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I think if Hooker beats SC that trophy is probably his.

justingroves and TDVol1989 like this.
  20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

No matter what now we should be going to as good of a bowl game as there is outside of CFP games. First time in my viewing lifetime I'll be able to witness the Vols play in either a Sugar or Orange Bowl, and I'm pretty damn happy about that. A childhood lifetime of nothing but Peaches, Outbacks, Citrus, Music City, and TurboTaxSlayer.comGator Bowls makes the pasture seem a little greener than it is.