Both Transfer Portal Threads Merged

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 29, 2022.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The more it goes on, the more trepidation I have about this whole portal thing. I believe it will calm down and sort itself out in a few years, but right now it just seems whimsy and bitterness drives the portal.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't realize the portal and I had so much in common.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I can't imagine college football without bitterness.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Going to be funny to see how Simpson reacts when he finds out Maye is going to Bama.

thagodfather and Memtownvol like this.
  5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

He's probably going to Georgia.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. Makes getting rid of bad coaches easier and doesn't punish players for getting trapped in a bad situation. Conference realignment is a much bigger plague on the game itself.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

UGA with a legitimate qb will be scarier than Bama ever was.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Smart will handcuff them

zehr27 likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The next step for the portal stuff is for schools to have retention or graduation bonuses.

zehr27, warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Some guys may commit soon but most will probably land after the bowl games are over.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Is that Twitter rambling about Dallen Hayden true?

12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I think that more guys are going to be hurt by the portal than helped, but that the portal should definitely be a thing. With more power and freedom comes more responsibility. Obviously that increased responsibility isn’t going to be good for a lot of 18-22 year olds, but life is full of difficult decisions. Hopefully over time guys learn from the mistakes of others.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Very. I thought this would happen, especially after Thomas entered the portal.

TDVol1989 and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

He looked pretty good when I watched him. This would make an impact. Aaron seems to be buying into the Heup on social media so I would love to see this

15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Here's a tweet about Hayden. One of the comments is saying that Austin Price says the rumor is false. I hope AP is wrong.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

There was some talk that he was going to get a year of NIL money and then come home. Kind of like Ewers did. I don't think he loves it there but they got him a pretty good NIL deal.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope these guys are keeping up with school to finish with a degree. Seem distracting.

zehr27 and ole_orange like this.
  18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It’d be mighty hard to take your studies super seriously if you were an 18-21 year old millionaire NIL student athlete. Doing the absolute bare minimum only taking the easiest possible classes you can so you can stay eligible would probably be my lone academic goal if I were in their shoes.

I just hope these athletes are being given access to resources like reputable CPAs who could help ensure Uncle Sam never comes after them. Some tough life lessons could play out for some of these guys throughout college football in the near future if they aren’t given proper financial resources and education. Not everyone is equipped to handle money like that at such a young age on their own.

zehr27 likes this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This made me think of a conversation about transfer credits with my daughter several weeks ago now. She was concerned about the process, and after she went through it, I told her it sounds like it's unchanged from what I remember it being 30 years ago with the exception of a bit of streamlining.

I wonder how much leniency is given to transferring student athletes in this regard.

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'd bet good money that every school who considers success in athletics a priority has no problem making transcripts transfer seamlessly.

justingroves likes this.