The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

IIRC, his nosey neighbor call the cops. Reading is hard.

IP and warhammer like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At some point, it breaks down that there are good cops, average cops, and bad cops. There are also good cultures and bad cultures in actual departments/precincts. I at least rationalize that 95% of the cops I'll encounter and of the good or average variety. I fully realize this plummets as you get into bigger cities.

And I'll scream until I am blue in the face that police unions have too much power in some places and that leads to a lot of the problems of bad cops and culture.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Neighbor did.

IP likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

so are jokes when people ruin them

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I laffed both times.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

IMO the problem is that there is no accountability. Protected by Police Unions, Qualified Immunity, Internal Affairs (we investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong).

Raise your children that they can do whatever they want and never suffer any negative consequences and see what Devils you get.

There needs to be some sort of 3rd party oversight.

SetVol13, CardinalVol, IP and 3 others like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It will take a paradigm shift. A shift that will make many uncomfortable.
    The rank-and-file along with the communities must be part of the solution.

Some will embrace it; some will fight it; some wont care, but will use the topic to their own selfish advantage.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's when I would kill someone

9. Ssmiff

Shooting at the library in Memphis today. One MPD officer in hospital and one person dead.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Senseless and sad of course, but who the hell even brings a gun to a library? As someone with a concealed carrying permit, the library is like the last place on Earth I would ever feel the need to carry at.

These last few months have been horrific publicity for the city of Memphis. The taboo being branded onto that city nationally has to be having a negative impact on tourism dollars. Right or wrong, plenty of outsiders could be thinking it's much safer to just look at pictures of Graceland online than risk going to *that city* in person right now.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We haven't even started up the mountain that was Memphis in the early 90s.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

More than a few people being their handgun everywhere. Like hot sauce on everything. I knew a dude who was strapped even grocery shopping. I know a guy who plans vacations around concealed carry. Imagine if I had a family member who probably violated federal law over insistence of carrying in a place it is not allowed but feels justified because they were not get caught, that'd be a wild story if it happened.

But none of these people ever fired in anger or wielded it in public. To be fair.

13. Ssmiff

Little 9 yr old white girl on a bus in Florida took about 30 punches from 2 kids, one looked several years older. Should be headline news racial attack, but it won’t be.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Knowing the law of where you can and cannot carry is paramount for any responsible concealed gun carrier. Knowing you can’t carry if you are going to a bar to booze or to the airport is on the gun owner. Ignorance is no excuse. Conceal carrying in a grocery store is a perfectly normal situation to carry personally. I like knowing I’ll at least have a fighting chance to defend myself in the event I ever find myself at the wrong place at the wrong time.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It's the open carry guys in walmart that I am seeing more and more of these days that boggle me. Or open carry anywhere.

I personally don't understand the fear. I would think the risk of accidentally shooting myself or someone else is far more likely than me ever using the thing to actually defend myself.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Open carry folks reminds me of my wife. At any given time in public, she is expecting our kids to be abducted and kidnapped, makes her paranoid at times. Open carry people must feel the same way, paranoid.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The open carry folks don't offend me or make me feel uneasy. I just think open carry is really dumb and defeats the purpose of maximizing your chances of successfully defending yourself in the event you cross paths with a murderous psycho hellbent on carnage. Why make yourself an identifiable target to a potential mass shooter by advertising yourself as someone who would need to be taken out first? I don't want anyone ever knowing I have a gun on me when I carry my weapon publicly. Carrying is nothing you need to visibly show off or even tell others about. If you are wanting to lawfully carry by all means exercise your 2nd amendment rights and do so, but doing so discreetly would always be my advice to anyone out there. A gun openly strapped onto your back does you no good whatsoever if you are already dead before you can even realize a shooting is taking place.

EDIT: adding a video here to further illustrate my point. Warning, this video linked below is disturbing: But it serves as a good example to me why open carrying weapons in public as a civilian is a horrible idea. This evil person who was hellbent on massacring an entire church congregation in Texas a few years ago clearly had no idea what he was going up against. He only gets two shoots off before he is permanently neutralized as a threat with 12 more guns aimed right at his lifeless body in mere seconds just in case he wasn't dead yet. I have no doubt that anyone there who would have been visibly carrying their gun would have been his first target. Why put yourself at an unnecessary risk like that to a crazy person by showing off for all to see that you have a gun on you?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, so you don't respect the second amendment and think it can be suspended. Where does it say your rights go away when you drink?!

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'm not some 2nd Amendment absolutist or anything. I mean I don't favor a blanket ban on anything considered an "assault weapon" like many reflexively call for whenever a shooting tragedy becomes the #1 story in America, but I certainly both understand the need for and favor a well regulated 2nd Amendment. In addition to being against blanket "assault weapons" bans, I also think ideas like a national gun registrar suck ass because that makes widespread govt gun confiscation like we have seen elsewhere a much easier task to pull off in the event out-right gun confiscation is ever demanded of us by our own government at whatever point in the future.

However ideas like making people wait at least a couple weeks before being cleared to buy a gun while a background check fully processes that allows time for tempers of someone with bad intentions to cool down and shoring up the gun show loop holes are ideas I very much agree with and advocate for. In the example mentioned above being legally barred from having a gun on your possession while drinking in public are one of those 2nd amendment regulations that makes perfect sense to me. I certainly don't view the NRA's of the world with total contempt like many do, but I'm also not a 2nd Amendment absolutist by any means. We can makes things much better and safer overall without flushing our sacred 2nd Amendment down the toilet.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm pointing out that there is no consistency in the positions you are describing, and having a problem with banning particular types of firearms from being available without additional process.