22-23 season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by KyleAlexanderfan, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

true. And just a lack of understanding what goes into winning and losing games, which in summary is playing defense and making shots. We put up 20 more shots last night. Make 30% of them and Barnes has nothing to do with it.
    As I mentioned yesterday, I didn’t like our small lineup vs Florida. Awoka should’ve played more. So I’m critical of Barnes for those coaching decisions. I can be critical of not recruiting players who can take their man, and spacing at times. We need to do more pick and roll on one side without a man in the corner. I’m not sure the fans I mention can understand those simple points.
    I’ll never be critical of a coach when scorers go ice cold. We tried Olivier, posting up Phillips, small, big, screens for shooters, elbow sets, high picks, etc etc. Part of that is I played 4 years of HS, 100s of AAU games and one year in college and never once blamed my coach when I played like shit.

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The same people will act like it is a crime to not put the Vols #1 or a 1 seed just the day before. So it may be an embarrassment thing.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think a lot of people characterize the team by the losses. Almost make excuses for wins, and then when there’s a loss it’s like “see this is what they really are”

Tar Volon likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

I don’t think most watch any other hoops. Outside of Purdue, every top team has laid a couple eggs and only reason Purdue hasn’t is due to their 7’4 giant, but they can’t take him out of the game very long.

5. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Our casual fans have the football mindset. They treat every loss like it’s the end of the season. You see it every year we are good in basketball and you saw it last year in baseball as well.

Tar Volon, Ssmiff and IP like this.
  6. Ssmiff

yep. Too many seasons on xbox on rookie level? Like my son who went undefeated in Mlb, nba and Madden and put up absurd numbers with his character.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It also doesn’t help that every loss except for the Arizona one has followed the same blueprint, which also happened to be the blueprint for the Michigan loss in March. The echoes are strong and unpleasant.

SetVol13 likes this.
  8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

We do have some questionable flaws on offense that makes me question how far this team can go. What do we go to when it gets tough and a defense knocks our offense completely out of rhythm? We haven’t found that answer yet. If we had an answer, we win that game despite our shooting woes.

I’m not defending the social media warriors of our fanbase. However, when we do lose, it’s always in horrific fashion where our offense looks like a bad high school team. That’s always gonna bring out crazy reactions from fans.

9. Ssmiff

Fair to note that almost every loss in hoops, including march for every team, happens when teams don’t shoot as well as the other team and in turn score less than the opponent.
    Poor and good shooting does seem to be pretty contagious with this group.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget we are about to enter the worst part of our schedule which probably is a big part of the panic.

There’s a legit chance we could lose 5 of the last 9. It won’t be easy. Even if we were playing near our best I would still have expected to lose 2 or 3 of the next 9. I guess there’s always a chance we win 8 of the last 9 too.

Both Auburn matchups will be tough. Alabama… enough said. @UK does not look like it’s in our favor anymore. Missouri could shoot us out of the gym if they get hot. @TAMU sounds ugly. Home vs Arkansas (do they get nick smith jr back? If so that one will be a battle). Even @Vandy.. who knows. They got Liam Robbins back from injury. Only 1 easy game left.

11. Ssmiff

I mentioned before yesterdays game I expected to lose 3-5 more. Now 2-4. We are a team mostly comprised of 3* players trying for a top 2 seed and will be the game of the year for our opponents, some of which flat out have more individual talent and skill on the court. Any team we run into with length who can switch and front our guards coming off picks is going to be tough. Force us to the baseline by fronting and have a rim protector. When this happens, I’d like to see pick and roll/pop clearout as mentioned prior. Spread it, force help D then kick it out. Need the picker to be able to roll, pop and drive. Maybe we don’t have that skill, but I’d like to see JJJ go pick for zz on a side by themselves and 3 shooters spotted up at the key, wing and corner. I’d call for it myself if we aren’t running it. Just like Philips needs to get position and yell for the ball instead of waiting on the call from the bench.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

As a casual basketball fan at best, y'all can all kiss my
    [​IMG]

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

All I see is a mod attempting to remove some posts

VOLinDAWGland and warhammer like this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hold my foam tomahawk.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Since I grew up watching Wade Houston coach, I am pretty much the opposite. Beat Kentucky once. Go to the NCAA tournament. Successful season.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Saw some comments about how Barnes holds players back. It’s just silly. Every player has the option of posting up or taking his man at anytime, especially early in the clock. We run sets either to get a matchup off a switch that we like, or when we can’t make it happen early. Barnes would prefer a shot within 15 seconds, which is opposite of holding back. This type of stuff is everywhere.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

When we lose you hear stuff like that. When we win four in a row, suddenly we are favorites to win the National Championship and Ziegler is the best PG in the country and UT history. It goes both ways.

SetVol13, IP and Ssmiff like this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If you are a true fan you support the coach is what I'm hearing.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I always take them to a cliff so they will push back like that, but I'll try this method next time.

20. Ssmiff

What does support the coach mean? People either want Barnes to coach or they want him to move on. I’d rather him stay because we are winning and recruiting at as high of a level as we ever have. Just had Gameday in town Saturday and beat Tx in front of the country in front of 20k. I’ll take it all day.