POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My sister is 60 and looking for a job. She’s finding out half the jobs she applies for online aren’t real. I suggested she follow up in person or call when applying and when she did, the companies said they don’t know where the position opening came from

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

because a lot of men have checked out.

The people are there. Luckily we have one of the better demographics in the world.

now if we scan out globally that’s not the case

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

How does one check out? Disability?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. Ssmiff

been asking that for a bit. No idea. Have a feeling many will get a few years into it and back looking for work. Avg American just doesn’t have enough saved to live on without secondary income.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I laugh every time someone says it's going to be simplified. I've got 100+ years of history to tell you you are wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if a recession would fix my industry's problem because consulting gigs would shrink.

7. Ssmiff

I supposed it’s possible some who had their homes paid for cashed out when the real estate peak hit, but they still have to find another place to live and pay taxes on the equity.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think there are a lot of normal people who made it big in real estate and now effectively retired early. But even if true, that would still contribute to my premise that more people are retiring than turning 18.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Somewhat relevant:

These things don't support the skills mismatch narrative.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There's a lot of good which can be done by loosening up some aspects of our immigration policy, too. Just saying.

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

CPI was negative in December, maybe inflation is under control.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have been thinking about this too, with all of the anti-immigration feelings in the country, if that is also an aspect of our hurting job market.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Im sure that is an aspect but not the only one.

the breakdown of the family unit is another driver, and us sacrificing the working class workers for globalization after WW2.

1 out of every 9 working age male is now out of the workforce.

it use to just be 1 out of every 50.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s not. energy was lower then but that’s starting to reverse.

it does seem like the used car market is close to breaking and certain housing markets but services and good are still going up

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think Musk said something on immigration that made sense as well. All the illegal people coming in need goods and services but most are not able to work (because of illegal status) so are demand could be higher but now we don't have the bodies to produce the demand. Put that with the retiring baby boomers and we have a problem. Basically we are under populated and probably need to make immigration easier so these people can work. I am sure he put it in a better way but it was something along those lines. Now manufacturing being down is not a great sign as our demand might be slowing and I believe it is.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Don't remind me. I am pretty sure I am putting my accountant's son through medical school.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    justingroves likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Sweet lawsuit payouts?

19. Ssmiff

Bart Durham

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe there is a way to figure this out mathematically. Because I don't think illegals have a way to greatly increase demand if they can't work because they don't have much. But mix in foreign nationals living here with money that don't work here, on top of the other things, and that may well explain it. A lot of retirees and foreign nationals artificially inducing demand beyond the labor pool? Don't know.