POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

You sorry SOB, how dare you.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

ha. Just sayin. Am not trying to rile Uni up. This whole country needs to lighten up a little and stop not only being offended, but also assuming the worst, though with politicians, I get it.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought the same, with the infighting over Chinese balloons. The military didn't ID them under Trump, and Biden followed military counsel last week. The only beef is with China, and maybe the military not being on top of it sooner. Trump and Biden aren't psychic.

justingroves and SetVol13 like this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Uni just hates the constitution. We all know it

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I’m not offended, just annoyed. I hate shit housing.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Less Constitution, more Kampfstitution

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Kinda reminds me of reciting the pledge of allegiance before school each day. Congress reading aloud our sacredly special constitution that is the bedrock of American society is harmless and well intentioned. Especially when compared to most of the other useless daily virtue signaling we see from DC. Now if only Congress had to actually read everything porked into all these bills they blindly vote on based on how the party bosses tell them to vote, Congress might actually suck a little less than they generally do.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Eh, I don't see what they did as well intentioned one bit, but anyway.

Speaking as someone who witnesses the Pledge of Allegiance "recited" every day, it's impact is essentially zero. The only way for it to have impact is to attach something meaningful or it becomes simple rote memorization. The same with the national anthem. They should stop doing it before every game. It's an odd tradition, really. It should be saved for national team events or when the country is being represented, as nearly every other country does.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I get the idea behind US public schools reciting the pledge of allegiance. The public schools I attended always took it seriously and had universal participation in it. It became so normal and routine we didn’t even think to question whether or not a daily pledge was weird.

However, in the Davidson metro schools my dad taught in for over 30 years he would say most people didn’t even stand up in his schools for the Pledge, much less recite it. Was just a hollow, meaningless thing for many basically. I do however in theory get the intention behind our government wanting the Pledge recited each morning within our public education systems, even if it is blatant government propaganda

The anthem at sports games is an oddly weird tradition if you think about it. That said it is indeed an American tradition and I don’t exactly hate it. Besides, I’m a sucker for a good ole fashion flyover that helps get the juices fully flowing at big time sporting events. However I do think it’s really strange when you are having the anthem played before 7th grade girls basketball games.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm anti-pledge personally. You should see some of the looks I get when I float that little balloon out there (no pun intended if there was one).

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Probably cause you would rather pledge allegiance to a hammer and sickle instead of 13 bars, 50 stars and a shit ton of bald eagles, you anti freedom loving commie. Jmo imo

justingroves likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I think it's a totally normal thing to do, especially for school aged children. Nothing strange at all about requiring a room full of 5 year olds to stand up and pledge their allegiance to the country before most of them can write their name.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I can understand this sentiment. I remember first learning to recite the pledge in kindergarten not knowing what most of the words in our pledge even meant. Still though compared to other forms of brainwashing govt propaganda techniques that exists in other countries throughout our world, our Pledge of Allegiance being a thing within our public schools seems quite mild and harmless.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It is pretty mild except for the government propaganda brainwashing.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea but the existence of government propaganda brainwashing is as unavoidable as the sun setting in the West. Countries are always going to expose supposed creeds and ideals to their citizens. Not like we can just wish away governments from ever using propaganda in some form. Pledge of Allegiance is not that awful.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think having children recite it is indefensible.

17. Ssmiff

Say Look one more time.

18. Ssmiff

This is crazy. Can’t believe these ritards are in charge of our country. From Biden stampeding to Kamala to Mcarthey rolling his eyes to the cheers and jeers.
    Best line of night so far, “we are going to need oil for the next decade.”

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

You might be right in a sense but it's not like it is literally mandatory for children to participate in. Yes, American public schools require that their students be exposed to the Pledge. American public schools also are required to teach stuff like the English alphabet to their students. Technically our public schools are just reading out the pledge daily over an intercom after the moment of silence is observed. At least here in America if you don't stand and participate the government/school won't/can't do anything about it. 1A prevents from being forcibly compelled to say the pledge of allegiance.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

People talking about performative politics earlier.... A SOTU address is about as symbolically performative as it gets in American politics. I understand and respect how the speech is a constitutional duty vaguely requiring our President to deliver in front of Congress from "time to time". But it just doesn't amount to much of anything other than serving as a grandiose platform for our federal government to congratulate themselves. No POTUS is ever gonna be like "the state of our union is bad. Look at us doing a sucky job!".

I understand the essential and fundamental separation of our executive and legislative branches prevents President's from routinely participating themselves in formal Congressional affairs. However it would be more useful to all of us if any given President actually had to jump into the weeds on occasion to publicly defend, confront, and debate actual policy matters with members of Congress in a formal setting like the Prime Minister across the pond has to do with their Parliament on a weekly basis.