22-23 season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by KyleAlexanderfan, Sep 15, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mashack is going to be that guy, if the officials don't pick on him like last game.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he can’t be until he’s making fts. I’d foul him late everytime and play the %s. Part of our late failures is we have Uros, Tobe or Mashack shooting fts. As a guard Id almost be hesitant to get it to them late in a game. Everybody in the gym knows they won’t make 2 fts

Tar Volon likes this.
  3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I can see that (Vescovi).

Perhaps my apprehension is he "seems" too hesitant at times, like he doesn't want to be the guy. Or he gets frustrated and in his head.

I agree, we miss ZZ's defense for the reasons stated. His upside to the team outweighs his "shortcomings".

4. Ssmiff

Every team we play is focused on him more than anybody else and he’s often being guarded by a longer more athletic player. The dude plays strong though. Regardless of the stats, hes one of the best SG rebounders we’ve had, maybe the best for his size.

Poppa T likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Since this is the current most popular thread, an update on Roger -

6. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

St. Mary’s in round 2 would be typical committee malfeasance - KenPom 5 vs. 7, Torvik 4 vs. 7. I get it, seeding neither team is easy. They’ve only got 2 wins against tournament teams; we’ve been an enigma. But for heaven’s sake, it would be nice if the committee would start looking at predictive analytics at least for seeding purposes to avoid E8 caliber matchups in the second round.

Meanwhile, if seeds were to hold in the other regions of the Athletic’s bracket, you get 4-5 matchups of UVA-Indiana (KenPom 30 vs 36), Xavier-Iowa St (KenPom 22 vs 16), and Miami-TCU (KenPom 25 vs 37).

Tar Volon likes this.
  7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

How's our chances looking that we end up playing in Greensboro next Friday? I'll be in Durham and would love to be able to make an hour drive and watch us in the tournament.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Ball handling could be an issue vs this Ole Miss defense. Iirc they like to do a lot of trapping at mid court and 1-3-1 zone.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If we win today I'd say about 95%. We win tomorrow and I'd say 100%.

10. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

Not sure who this is a shot at, but when I called for Santi to stop shooting, it was during the Arizona game when he went 1-7 from 3 and 2-12 overall. Vols lost that game by 5 and his terrible shooting sure didn't help. His 3 point percentage during conference games has absolutely nothing to do with that.

11. Ssmiff

wasn’t calling anybody out in particular but we evidently don’t see the game the same way. Santi kept us in many more games than hurt us. I never want a shooter to stop shooting, especially on an offensively challenged team, and one who led the league 2 years in a row in % and first team all sec. People who want him to sit or stop shooting if he’s 0-4 need to move on and wait for football season

12. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I thought we would miss ZZ most for his offensive creation. But after Auburn its clear how important he is to our defense. Just not even close to the same defensive team without him.

13. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

People who disagree with you should quit watching basketball? That's certainly a take.

14. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

I'm sure a lot of it is because Castleton is out, but Florida is terrible. I hate that we lost to those jokers.

15. Ssmiff

nope. people who want Santi to stop shooting the ball on this team should.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

Overtime…..

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

"Duct tape and bailing wire ...", a fair assessment of our situation.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am glad Florida lost.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Go Vols!!!

20. KyleAlexanderfan

What was that pass?