23 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Having been in the "should-win" Vol spectator seat more times than I care to remember, I finally learned to just sit back and enjoy the ride until someone shows me the door.

I do believe our kids playing hate to lose equally, if not more, than me. And I hate that feeling for them. But I relish that feeling for them when they win.

Go Vols!

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ll say it again, beating Duke like that and the fallout made this a successful tournament. Beating ODU or even someone like Virginia in the second round would have me feeling a lot different right now

justingroves and IP like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Switch fau and Duke. Would playing Duke in the sweet 16 be house money? (Yes)

So how is it not house money when i already have a Duke win in my pocket? Not my fault FAU beat Memphis and the team that beat Purdue. I have Duke dollars in my pocket in the sweet 16 with no Zeigler.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Living over here in NC, beating Duke was awesome.

Edit: Being honest, beating any NC team would be awesome. But beating Duke (in the mud) was special.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Kinda feeling the same. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them get hot from deep or the refs take all the “Australian rules rugby(???)” to heart and try to foul out half our team (even though FAU doesn’t usually draw many fouls). But this is a pretty favorable matchup and we should win. Which admittedly doesn’t always mean much.

6. Tar Volon

Didn’t know you were in NC—I lived in Durham for eight years and am trying hard to move back there because I really don’t want to buy a house in the Baltimore suburbs.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

Them not really being a high ball pressure team makes me feel a bit better, but I suppose they could come out and play that way due to our PG issues. They also are pretty much middle of the NCAA in tempo, while a lot of people are assuming they play fast

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Also they were a good story and bless them for beating Purdue but FDU was not a good NCAAT team

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I was amazed at how many open threes FDU gave FAU, most of them which they did not mostly hit. But, FDU ran a press which failed to get any turnovers and left a 2 on 1 back end of the break innumerable times. We won't play this way, at all. Of course, watch them hit contested threes they missed when they were open against FDU.

If FAU plays the way they did against FDU, we'll win by 15. I'm just not counting on it.

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Don't blame you.

We've been here since 1980. It is where the work was. About 30 miles north of Charlotte (Concord). My Dad's brother (they both graduated from UT) and his family are in Carey and Triad area.

We almost bought 7 acres on the lake outside Knoxville (near Rockford) in prep for retirement. No 10 hour round-trip drive to ball games.

But alas, our kids had kids and being close to grandkids was more important. So we stayed and I drive.

11. Tar Volon

Yeah, moved to Maryland for the work as well. But we’re so far from family and the wife thinks it’s too cold, so we’re trying to get back. It also helps that our interest rate on the Durham house is not the 7% we’d have on anything we bought up here.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sense of impending doom creeping in.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

Don’t have much of a feel for this one

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Apparently we've sent a large contingent of fans to NYC. To the point of the arena looks empty for the early game.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I got several emails ftom UT for Sweet 16 NYC tix. IIRC, the basic was $38/session.

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

If you follow UT history this is the classic who knows. We could Dominate or Suck. I mean we almost let the the first round slip away then put down the hottest team and trendiest pick in the tourney. Just like we beat Bama in FB and got Skull Loved by USCJr.

I think Barnes has figured something out and FAU will not rise to the occasion. It’s win by 12+ or lose by 12+ for me. But I think we get it done. Rum on standby if not

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Holy hell, UCONN looks really good.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Watching KSt PG, I miss ZZ.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If the Vols win tonight and either MSU or KSt play the way they are playing tonight, it’s tough to like our chances. What a game.

20. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He just rolled an ankle though. Trying to play through it but it’s noticeably slowed him down