2022 Football Highlights

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by PilotFlyingJ, May 27, 2023.

1. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

courtesy of the University...

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

@Ssmiff we did all of this while still having Kesling in the booth. Amazing

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Heup has had to overcome a lot, and that’s at the top of the list above sanctions, portal and complete change of the AD and program culture

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Ugh I hate how Kesling narrating the season highlight video has me distracted from fully enjoying that production. I just can't shake my fixation over how lifelessly underwhelming and monotonous every single Bob Kesling broadcast always is. IMO at this point Charlie Brown's teacher would be a huge upgrade for the Vol Network compared to Boring Bob behind the mic. His game winning FG call in the Alabama was especially horrific and embarrassing given how that circumstance would have served as a signature magnum opus radio call remembered fondly for decades to come for any other broadcaster out there actually worth a salt.

Only bad thing about John Ward was how much he fawned over Bob Kesling over the years resulting in him erroneously christening him as his ultimate replacement. Next time the Voice of the Vols gig comes open I say screw "professionalism". At this point after listening to Bob's joyless calls my entire Tennessee fandom lifespan I say go out and find a UT fanboy homer with a tad of Tennessee twang who can actually convey some damn passion and excitement along the way.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Like Ward had "No-Sir-REE", "All the way to the State Capitol", "Powell went roaring down the greensward of the Superdome", "The national champion is clad in Big Orange" being a few countless examples of his broadcasting excellence.

My Titans had Mike Keith hit a walk off HR with his now iconic "Music City Miracle" call. Mike couldn't have rhetorically captured the descriptions and emotions surrounding that play as it unfolded in real time any better than he did. "Endzone! TOUCHDOWN TITANS! There are NO.FLAGS.ON.THE. FIELD!!! IT"S A MIRACLE! TENNESSEE HAS PULLED A MIRACLE!" Goosebumps every time I hear it.

Bob Kesling's UGA Hailmary and Alabama game winning kick call? Utterly flat and pathetic given the material he was given to work with. Tim Priest was the only redeeming component of the DobbNail boot heave.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  6. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Lol you're the man, @Ssmiff

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Re: Kesling

I used to think it couldn't be any worse than him, but I've since found some PSU games with Joe Paterno's brother George doing their radio color. It is so bad that it is embarrassing. I assume that he played the Billy Carter role within that family. Imagine a loudmouth guy from circa 1950s Brooklyn who seems to know next to nothing about football talking over the play by play man for four hours.

justingroves likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My biggest problem with Kesling has always been that he does radio like it’s tv and we can see it. He definitely also doesn’t have that flair for capturing a big moment in a memorable way

SetVol13, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. Ssmiff

He will also say a ball was intercepted when it was caught for a first down, say a player from 20 years ago just made a 3, not call out the score in hoops minutes at a time, surprisingly call a fg good after it’s missed and not realize it until the other team takes possession, and his lips never touch.
    I just cant

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Don't forget only giving the score approximately twice per game.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

The days when we had 3 Smiths on the floor in basketball

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Jamar Smith scored so many points for us.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Needs his jersey in the rafters

14. Ssmiff

I was just happy to hear Bret Smith was off the bench and got a couple buckets.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

Also eat shit, Akron but I forgot about the punter pulling it back in to let the rush by and then punting it lol