Power Rankings - Week 1

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 4, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Let’s do this again shall we?

Note - small sample size so we are using last year and complete and total bias analysis as well.

1 Georgia - to be the man you gotta beat the man even if they didn’t look the beat against UTM.
    2 Tennessee - we beat a power 5 team, granted I use that phrase loosely
    3 Bama - Saban is going to attempt to hold the ball and entire half this year
    4 Ole Miss - score 70 and I’ll reward you, opponent be damned
    5 A&M - they beat a former Maryville qb so they are obviously worthy of a high ranking this week
    6 State - I would love to know The Pirate’s thoughts on the new clock rules
    7 Auburn - I promise I am not posting on a burner phone
    8 Kentucky - Honestly started at bottom and worked up and A comes before K
    9 Arkansas - I think they played. I’m not certain, but I think they did
    10 Mizzou - Dorkwitz is quickly becoming one of my hated coaches.
    11 LSU - I’ve still not watched the second half. Judging by the fire in my wife’s eyes when I asked what happened, I’m not going to when she’s around. I’m scared for my fam-uh-lee.
    12 Carolina Jr - Have you ever wondered if Frank has ever wanted to slap Shane cross-eyed after some of his comments?
    13 Vandy - Will they sell out all 28k seats one time this year?
    14 Florida - right now this is not a joke. They are the worst team in the conference. I don’t see Billy making it through the season. I wonder if Spurriwr has tried to slap him cross-eyed yet?

PilotFlyingJ and 10SEvols like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee is no worse than third based on all available information. If all the teams and their previous accomplishments were blanked out and you only went with what happened against their known opponents this week without knowing the SEC teams' names, Tennessee could be #1.

warhammer likes this.
  3. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

For #12, I'm reminded of this

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I would love absolutely -nothing- more than for Tennessee to utterly crush Florida at home in front of what looks to be a huge recruiting weekend for them.. That then starts the absolute tailspin for that stain of a program.

I don't know if anyone here has looked at it much, but their #3 2024 recruiting class of 2 5* and 11 4* are almost entirely from outside of Florida and most aren't even from a neighboring state. Holding onto local kids with cause to attend would be hard enough but ... those aren't good odds.

10SEvols, Tar Volon and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I am so irrationally nervous about that game, because we always seem to choke in Gainesville. My wife and I have a chance to actually get into DC that day, and I’m like “go out for a nice lunch or else have me checking my phone every two minutes because even though we should crush them, I am expecting the worst.”

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I take some comfort that this team is not coached by someone named Dooley, Jones, or Pruitt.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I may end up looking stupid but I think we are competent enough on defense plus I’m not sure florida is competent enough offensively to keep up.

NorrisAlan and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

If Florida can't run the ball they'll be toast. It doesn't look like they can run the ball and there's no Richardson to bail them out against a weak pass defense. I want a humiliating beat down.

ole_orange and justingroves like this.
  9. Power_T16

Power_T16 Chieftain

Sounds like Pili done for the year.

10. Tar Volon

Well damn.

11. Tar Volon

So I know early season power rankings are notoriously volatile, but the new S&P+ is out and only has four teams on our schedule within 14 points of us on a neutral field: Georgia (6 points better), Alabama (6 points better), A&M (5 points worse), and Kentucky (12 points worse).

That’s wild.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

where are you seeing this? Happen at practice yesterday?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would think you'd want at least 3 or 4 weeks of games before it could really tell you anything. Or does it use previous years' stuff too? Which would be worse.

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Where are you hearing that? Nothing on any boards or twitter about it.

Tar Volon likes this.
  15. Tar Volon

Yeah, it uses previous year stuff in the first month or so, because previous years do have a fair bit of predictive power, but there have still been some swings of seven or eight points just based on one game.

16. Ssmiff

Hope it’s not true and poster saw an article from 3 years ago. This would sting. Pili doesn’t appear to miss assignments. We aren’t ready yet behind him.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting. Well maybe in a month it will be even more favorable

18. Power_T16

Power_T16 Chieftain

Was from Price. Confirmed now.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

20. Ssmiff

Because I’m ocd I just went back and watched every snap he played. No idea when it happened. He was never slow to get up or awkward hit or landed on and was raising his arms up for signals. His last play was a pass rush but he was blocked. Looked harmless. Then he stayed on sideline and watched backups. VA only TD drive was with runs and when Herring replaced him on that side.
    Conspiracy theory tells me something is amiss, or they just want to rest him and let the young lbs play next week.