Codependent nature of UT football

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Sep 16, 2023.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I can no longer stand getting kicked in the teeth by our program and told "Baby, I'm sorry, I won't do that again" only to get kicked in the teeth again.

Over.

And over..

And over.

I am glad both of my sons hate sports and don't care for UT.

Is this over emotional girly talk from me? Perhaps. But [dadgum]it I am sick of it. It has been 25 years, and even that team wasn't an all time great college football team. We just kind of had the best team that year.

It is a sickness and I just cannot take it any longer.

NYY likes this.
  2. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I completely understand, but I’d suggest finding another hobby to supplement the time wasted by watching UT football. Whether we win or lose I will be taking my 12 year old son to put out 15 or so trail cams out on our multiple hunting properties tomorrow. It greatly eases the pain of watching our shitshow year after year against Florida.

justingroves likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I brushed duck blinds today in Arkansas, will probably go kill a deer in Kentucky tomorrow

OneForVol likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There's always interpretive performance of 16th century poetry.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who said they won't kick your teeth again?

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Battered Vol Syndrome. Believing they will be better next time and that it won't happen again...

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm at vol gimp status. I'm here for the promise of pleasure yet experience of pain.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    cpninja likes this.
  8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm ready to be hurt again. I can't give it up. Vol football is my meth and I'm locked in a drugstore all alone after closing.

IP likes this.
  9. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

We will be fine. The rest of the SEC sucks, too.

10. I'm a big believer in mental wellness and health. TBH I was surprised at my ability to brush yesterday's loss off and I attribute that directly to a lot of changes in my mental approach to life as well as physical health changes over the last few years.

Don't neglect your mental health folks! It's easy to dismiss unhealthy habits and attachments as just natural parts of fandom. It doesn't mean you care less, or aren't a real fan, or whatever.

SetVol13, cpninja, gcbvol and 2 others like this.
  11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I have gotten much less live-and-die with UT football over the last six or seven years. Doesn’t mean there isn’t still the occasional loss that I lose sleep over (yesterday being a good example), but I can have my kids climbing all over me whole watching Florida score 26 straight points and not yell at them to go somewhere else, which is a step up. Sports are fun (sometimes), but it’s good to make sure fandom doesn’t make you into something you don’t want to be.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The vols will be my war criminal/terrorist origin story. It will be most of the biopic run time.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Same. Last night I shut off the game at halftime and just watched a horror movie with the wife while we ate nachos and drank whiskey.

Salvaged a night.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Took years to get the boys back on board. I don’t like a full day of wait and grilling and ball talk with them to lead to the one in the Bru jersey going upstairs at halftime to play video games.

15. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Sounds like your kids are front runners.

justingroves likes this.
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I was pissed after the game, but I'm at the point now where I can continue to watch college football the rest of the day rather than have the whole weekend ruined.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was pissed at the game, but I didn't dwell on it. The team is the sum of all the nagging fears coming into the season. It is what what it is.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was out of town with my fa family. Turned on the hotel TV to see FL take a 12-7 lead then the Milton int and I turned the TV off. I was wrong about this game.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

More like this game wronged you.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.