POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah had a celebration lunch for my time there when I left each one.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He tells people he is a veteran, and wears a VFW cap. There is no dispute between us that he retired from the Air Force, but he himself is not "retired" or in retirement. I'm not trying to take the piss here, this is clearly a semantics thing. If a pitcher retires a batter, it doesn't put him in retirement. A retired actor may get into directing. That doesn't mean they are in retirement. A white collar suit may retire from his company and have a pension. If he opens up a business of his own or works full time at Wal-Mart, he isn't in retirement, he is still working. He can even collect SS benefits and work full time, and not be in retirement because to be "in retirement" refers to no longer working and relying on investments, savings, pension, etc.

I don't think I am making something up here. I think this is what it means, sincerely. I would swear to it under threat of punishment.

SetVol13 and gcbvol like this.
  3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I also have a state pension. It's $5.04 a month, was full time employed at a state university just long enough to qualify while I was in college.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Couldn't feed a starving child in Africa on that. 18 cents a day.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Just wait till I'm old enough to start collecting it in 20 years. Ooh boy.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

We argue about the silliest things sometimes. But, in truth, it can be enjoyable.

This one seems custom-fit for Indy.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yes. At least that is how I see it.

"Retirement" is defined specific to the entity providing the benefits.

You can be receiving retirement benefits from <A> and be working full time for <B>.
    I would say they are in the full time work force #. They just happen to have an alternate revenue stream called "Retirement benefits from <A>.

Most people that are receiving retirement benefits from <A>; are eligible for full SS and are working full time for <B> will defer their SS retirement benefits. Like everything else it boils down to what is best financially (for me).

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

On this topic I think it’s important to remember that to some degree immigration suppresses the native born birthrate. And while it is in part the immigration itself, it’s also the nature of an economy that needs/wants to import so many foreign born.

Now, please don’t read that as me saying the birthrate would have stayed at 1950’s levels until now without immigration. I’m not saying that at all. No matter what it was going to go down. The point though is that even if this graph could be 100% explained by shrinking population of native born working age people, that circumstance is to some extent driven by the things Americans are mad about that you generally seem incapable of processing.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

How does immigration suppress the native born birthrate? What are the things Americans are mad about, in your opinion?

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The vast majority of immigrant-held jobs are those natural born citizens will not take.

The major exception are H-1Bs, which are primarily held by India nationals. This is the area to be potentially angry over. The southern border immigrants are taking the jobs we won't do.

Hell, we have trouble getting Americans to take high-paying trade jobs. Nobody is interested in any manor of physical labor.

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The wife and I had many late night discussions about migrants before we decided to have kids.

IP likes this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

AGI is going to scoop up all those jobs so lazy Americans can [itch bay] about that next.

SetVol13 and gcbvol like this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's ridiculous

gcbvol and zehr27 like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nikki Haley's campaign texted me, IP, for money. I've never given anyone money and I have no idea why she thinks I would start with her.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Post ... "I have never, nor will I ever, contribute any money to a political campaign or PAC."

When the AI scrapes the interwebz for data under IP, this should put you (at least IP) on the "waste of time" list.

Or, you could respond that "IP is a bot" and see what happens.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can I reply that my account is frozen and if they could just wire me some cash I will be able to get access to it and can pay them back with extra?

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am afraid the humor would be lost on their AI.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

She is better than Trump!?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have this thing where it would be dishonest to financially support a candidate if I never intend to actually vote for them.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And here Nikki Haley was, thinking you weren't a racist. You showed her.