POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have been looking at different options out West based on a promotion I might be getting. The region stretches from Alaska all the way down through Arizona/New Mexico/El Paso. We honestly can’t figure out where we want to live.

Proximity to a “large” city is basically required for easy access to direct flights. Hiring manager lives in Phoenix and has a preference that this person live in the Pacific Northwest (so the two of them essentially cover opposite ends of the region). Previous person in this role lived outside Portland.

Seattle property values are outrageous. Oregon’s tax burden is the highest out of all of our options. Salt Lake MIGHT be feasible, and the wife has a cousin who lives there. But we have super low market share there, which means I’ll be traveling more if we live there. It’s also not a cheap place to live either. And then there’s the southern options. None of them make a lot of sense for the job because the hiring manager doesn’t want the person there, and they’re hot as [uck fay] and wouldn’t really fit our lifestyle or what we are looking for.

We’ve been looking at it for a week or two now, and there’s really no option that stands out as better than the rest (or even good, for that matter).

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s to the point where we are considering keeping our house in Baltimore, paying a company to “manage” renting it out for us, then renting a place out west in the city we end up choosing.

Don’t want to trade our 2.625 interest rate for something in the 7’s and a house that’s way overpriced, especially not knowing how long we plan to be out there.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I want to retire to the PNW

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I hope that they pay for you to visit a few of these places before making a decision.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why? The outdoors aspects, I assume?

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We will see. Relocation has typically been offered in the past (I got it when I took this job in Baltimore), but it's a little murky right now as to whether they're offering it. The package, if offered, would include home finding visits.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’d go right now if I had nothing holding me back.

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

What in your mind is smallest size city you’d go for? There are tradeoffs no doubt but I could happily live in Salt Lake, Boise or Bend. For me the draw to these and others is largely proximity to outdoors stuff so I know things shift if that’s not a priority.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow. Never even heard of that.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was born in Idaho. I'd be happy retiring in the PNW or the southern Appalachians. Or the rural northeast.

I would avoid the southwest, more people than water.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Container home in Maine for summers and Costa Rica in winter.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t ever want to live anywhere else, but I could if needs be

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I hope FL stays high on the list for a few more months.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Which Coast?

15. Ssmiff

thought you wanted out? I’m heading to Cape San Blas in 2 weeks. Can’t wait.

16. gcbvol

I do. I want real-estate demand to stay high.

IP likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

I’ve only been to Playa Hermosa and Tamarindo. Didn’t fly into main aeropuerta. The vibe of the people there is one of a kind. beaches are not the fluffy lay out all day type. on Sunday, its locals grilling and playing little soccer games all over the beach. Music. Everybody happy like not a care in the world. Loved it there. Every person I looked at for a week had a smile and said hello.

VolDad likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't imagine moving to Florida without a terminal diagnosis. The insurance alone...

19. Ssmiff

Howler monkeys flying around the trees early AM with a coffee is something you must also experience. Creepiest shit ever

gcbvol likes this.
  20. gcbvol

Hush! But you're right. Insurance is a big issue. The good(ish) news for us is we live in an area not at high risk for surge or flooding. Still not cheap, though.