24-25 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The 2023-24 team made me look forward to basketball in a way that I haven't since Grant and Admiral graduated (barring a three-week heater at the end of the 2021-22 season). Makes me actually look forward to next season, even though we're losing the guy who transformed the team this year.

So we're losing an all-American, which is bad. And we're losing a couple gritty veterans on the wings. But everybody else is back.

If Zeigler is on his game, this team is dangerous, even without Knecht. I think Mashack can step into JJJ's Glue Guy Extraordinaire role and give us sold contributions. Wouldn't be shocked to see him smooth out his shot--it has gotten better every year he's been here.

I think we have two huge questions that are going to determine our ceiling:

1. Where do we get a second scorer from the guard position? Gainey improved in-season more than anybody on our team. Can he be a go-to guy? Can we strike gold in the portal again? We've got three talented freshman sitting on the bench right now. Do any of them make the leap? We know Carr can shoot it. I do not know a damn thing about Jefferson or whether he is even going to still be here next year. Lots of irons in the fire, but we need somebody to step up.

2. Who makes the leap in the post. I think Awaka is probably our best prospect right now--his shot got better and better as the season progresses, and he's a monster on the boards--but he has to clean up the fouls. Again, we have two talented freshmen sitting there, and while Estrella has trouble with his hands, he has shown flashes of potentially being a valuable player. Do either of those guys make the leap? At this point, I think Aidoo is an automatic 20 and 10 against mid-majors and is unplayable against an elite five. He has gotten better every single year, and maybe Barnes can coax some more out of him, but I'm not going to trust him under the bright lights until he shows he can do it.

I know this is way too early to talk about next season, but man this team has made me excited about basketball again, and we've got some good players to build around. Impossible to expect next year's team to match this year's, but we're an impact transfer or some significant internal development away from having a team that could be pretty exciting again.

A-Smith and NashVol11 like this.
  2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

We must get better in the post. It should probably be priority number one.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. Tar Volon

We only have one upperclassman, so it’s possible that we can make a leap purely on internal development. But we don’t have a single guy that I trust to hang in with an elite opponent right now. Have to change that next year, because we’re not going to be able to rely on Knecht making every shot count.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Need to find a scorer in the portal. Doesn't have to be DK, but has to be a guy that can score 15-20 as needed.

Tar Volon likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

I'm actually fine with Estrella. He's been what you could have hoped all year when needed and probably played the ogre better than anyone today.

Tar Volon likes this.
  6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

One of his old Northern Colorado teammates is in the portal and averaged almost 20 a game. He won’t be another DK but could do worse.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Jefferson is almost certainly gone.

8. CardinalVol

Go get him.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like we will almost certainly lose one of Aidoo, Awaka, or Estrella. From today’s game you wonder if it’s going to Aidoo that they don’t try hard to keep.

10. CardinalVol

I mean, when he's good, he's the best of the three. But if he knows he's facing someone equal or better he collapses. And he just doesn't play to his size. He should be a beast out there and he's too finesse.

I've said since the last game of regular season that Kentucky broke him. I'm not saying he was great, but man there's been a noticeable drop off since then.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd imagine Aidoo won't be too thrilled about sticking around. The biggest game of the season and he was sitting there watching a true freshman rightfully getting his minutes.

12. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

IDK. I think the most likely big to leave is Phillips, if anyone does.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m hoping we see a Josh Richardson like offensive jump from Mashack. We’ve never really asked much of him offensively, so I’m sure his focus has always been improving enough defensively to see the floor.

If he’s gonna start next year, we would benefit greatly from him jumping from 5 ppg to 10-12 ppg.

Tar Volon likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I won’t be surprised if Aidoo leaves. Other teams have sniffed around before

yont sum iss? likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

We have 3 known exits and only one HS signee.

I think Jefferson is a near certainty to leave.

Dilione is probably a coin flip at this point.

I think Barnes really likes Estrella and Carr and both should be poised to see their roles expand a ton.

I think we’re looking at 3 or 4 portal guys incoming.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also think there’s a lot of upside for Gainey. He was very effective when he didn’t lose the plot offensively. He’s athletic, can beat guys off the dribble, has a nice stroke and sneaky good hands on defense. Probably one of our most improved players over the course of the season.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I believe he is content.

19. Tar Volon

I’m fine with Estrella as a prospect. He’s not ready to be the guy. Maybe he and Awaka can both keep improving and be a good tandem next year, I dunno.

20. CardinalVol

Other than getting lost against Kentucky (I think) a few times, I'm been impressed when he plays this year. He's shown enough flashes that he can do it.