So long Dixie Stampede

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by A-Smith, Jan 9, 2018.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Name lasted a whole lot longer than I expected it would to be honest.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Shaming peoples of their history worked really well during Reconstruction. The blowback from these decisions should be glorious.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I am completely ok with not celebrating the Confederacy (statues etc). If I were a black person, I wouldn't want to walk by my courthouse and have Bobby Lee staring down at me from atop Traveller. CSA stuff needs to come down from public places. Caving into our crazy culture and removing the name "Dixie" is a far cry from that imo. Bunch of hysteria.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I pretty much agree with you.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Is it “Dixie” because of it being south of the Mason Dixon, or was it “Dixie” before then?

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

When we get to the point we can’t play Christmas in Dixie I’m going to lose my shit.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's snowing in the pines....

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The story of Reconstruction has been a lie for 150 years and perpetuated for a long time in the North and South. The issue is that racism was so completely embedded, accepted and prevalent that the clean up has been lengthy and exhausting. The culture of celebrating the Confederacy was simply massive.

Plus, those lamenting the loss of history are off, too. Much of the stuff was just shitty and baloney history, anyway.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That is the origin, but the original line drawn by Mason and Dixon was pre-Revolutionary War between Maryland and Pennsylvania and did not have anything to do with slaves according to Wikipedia.

IP likes this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

my 11th grade history teacher taught us all about the evil industrialist radical republicans and how they abused the south during Reconstruction. She never missed a chance to tell us how Lincoln was a moderate and would have thwarted the radicals had he lived.

Tangentially, US Grant is my Anerican hero. New book on him is first rate. His Presidency has been smeared a good deal by Lost Cause types.

My dislike of the Dixie Stampede name change has nothing to do with glorifying the Confederacy.

Unimane likes this.
  12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ok. But the celebration of “Dixie” is celebrating being below the line—the line that legally allowed people to own other people.

Everyone can decide what that means for themselves, but it’s a tad bit arrogant to say “that’s not what it means to me, so that isn’t what it means.”

A compromise is we just all start saying “SEC! SEC! SEC!,” and move on.

Until that becomes about the exploitation of youth for profit.

But I’m sure by then we’ll have something “uniquely cultural” to us, again. Or at least Alabama and Georgia will.

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Et Tu, Dolly?

14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

If Heaven ain’t a lot like Dixie I don’t wanna go.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Now, I don't mind chopping wood. And I don't care if the money's no good. You take what you need. And you leave the rest. But they should never. Have taken the very best.

CardinalVol likes this.
  16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

To me this just sounds like people that want to get mad about something. I get the Confederacy and Rebel flag. Fighting to preserve slavery should be regretted and not celebrated. But the idea that the south can't be proud of anything at all unique to itself because there were slaves here for longer than other places (they were in north and south at the time the line was drawn) just strikes me as PC-ness out of control.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t really have a problem with this as long as black people are still not allowed admittance.

Joseph Brant, woodshed and dknash like this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure that problem will sort itself out.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

They'll have to blur out the top of the General Lee if they show Dukes of Hazzard on CMT.