The Cosmos Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

How are we gonna have enough time to get to a habitable planet if we ever find one?

2. kidbourbon

That dude was Buh Rilliant

3. kidbourbon

I love that website.

I also think it would be terribly solipsistic to think we are a one-off fluke, but the more I learn about what we've learned in the exoplanet project, maybe we are just a unicorn planet. Though probably not. Because, like you said, the possibilities...so many.

4. kidbourbon

5. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I'd like to think we'll find an answer but it could be an intractable problem.

6. kidbourbon

Well even if we get real close to the speed of light, it's still basically a non-starter. Unless we learn to fold time or something, which I'm not optimistic is a real thing.

7. kidbourbon

Do we know that they're a thing or just that existing equations are off?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you read them?

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Our ideas for gravity are pretty spot on for the solar system and everything on the planetary scale. If those equations scale up (which there is no reason to believe they shouldn't), then dark matter must exist because there is a lot of something out there affecting the universe gravity wise that we cannot see. Is it possible that something other than gravity as we know it could be causing it? Of course.

Dark energy must also exist, as the universe is accelerating in its expansion.

But as I say, Dark Matter and Dark Energy are really poor wording because we don't know WHAT is causing it, simply that it is being caused, and and we have not one clue what is causing it.

10. kidbourbon

I read the first one

11. kidbourbon

I think we're on the same page. When we've determined that like 96% of the total mass of the universe is "some shit that we don't know about yet", I think that putting hard labels on what that thing or those things might be is a little disingenuous.

12. kidbourbon

Speaking of something that makes all the planetary models work when you consider that it's there, what do we think about Planet 9?

I saw a really interesting show a while back where this guy was demonstrating the relative locations of the planets with different sized spheres in this huge open space. It really put into perspective how far away Planet 9 -- if it exists -- is located, and how difficult it would be to find it as a result.

Actually, I just found it:

ETA: nvm, that wasn't the same video.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  13. kidbourbon

Did y'all know that both the moon and mars have water on them?

14. NorrisAlan

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did you guys know that anuses have rings around them or something?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just urs.

17. NorrisAlan

18. NorrisAlan

Organic chemicals found on Mars. Also seasonal blooms in methane in the atmosphere. Doesn't mean life, but I find the idea fascinating.

These are incredibly exciting times!

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Mars. Needs. Women.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't mean life, but it breathes new life into the possibility, either now or long ago.