The Final Bow

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Low Country Vol, Jan 14, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah. My disability insurance doesn’t cover mental health stuff. Couldn’t think of a scenario where I would I ever need that. Thought of one pretty early on after a kid came along.

justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Delete Twatter immediately

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think he was the last president of my innocence. The wheels started falling off with Clinton, although I believe Clinton was a good president, but after Bush, the presidency started its turn to crap.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Clinton had some good policy. The Lewinski affair ruined him.

5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Outside of Balkan meddling, he mailed it in after Lewinski. I may be off by a 1 or 2 but I believe he met with his Cabinet a grand total of 8 times in 1998.

6. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

H was the first president I voted for (I voted for him both times).

I was in college and those were heady times. The Reagan revolution was still in full swing. Bush cruised to victory. Summer vacations were spent at the beach with extended family ( about 30 of us.) The economy was booming.

The summer of the war was a scary time. I had Kuwaiti friends who suspended their education to go join the war.

This was the worlds fourth largest army and they were entrenched.

H took the plastic wrap off of Reagan's military and under Schwarzkopf's command proceeded to destroy the enemy. I remember the night of the attack. I was watching Bernard Shaw (back when CNN was a real news org) and hearing the fear in his voice as all hell broke loose. The place looked like a bunch of green Christmas lights.

I created my own little poster for the event and put it on my dorm room door.. I had a drawing of a leveled Baghdad with one lone building standing in the center. It was the Al Rashid Hotel where Berny and the other journalist were stationed. This was the most extensive use of the LGB ever seen at that time. My resident advisor, a bit of a pacifist, was not amused. It stayed on the door as snowflakes had no power back then and PC wasn't really a thing. Stealth had made its official debut ( was used in Panama but not officially mentioned).

Bush's approval rating hit 90% as the US made easy pickings of the shoe shine boy's ( Bush's pronunciation of Saddam is a similar sounding word that meant shoe shine boy) rag tag remnant on the Highway of Death and Saddam Insane peed his pants.

In those days I used to aggravate a Honduran friend. I would rib him because his last name was Castro and I would say "Los Estados Unidos es mas gran pais en todo el mundo." He would smile and say he could not argue with that. The pride level of the American people was off the charts. In America and Proud to be an American could have easily been the theme songs of that era.

I consider H the second greatest president of my lifetime ( born in 69). Trump not on list because his is still active. He will probably end up at fourth because while I like his achievements so far, he is still a t_rd. Ford was a caretaker and Nixon entered into detente with China and took us off the Gold Standard instead of dealing with LBJs "Worst Society" out of control social spending. Watergate lead to massive pub defeats and the election of the most naive president to serve. He was responsible for that. He can not rise above his position on my chart

1 Reagan
    2 H
    3 W
    4 Nixon
    5 Ford

Well the rest have to be ranked

6 BJ Clinton
    7 Carter
    8 He Who Shall Not Be Named

RIP - H. Those were some good times.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Lost another good one.

Ken Berry, “Vinton Harper” from Mama’s Family.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When I was in high school, all of our dads were in the air force and our dads would send us pictures of bombs that would say stuff like, [uck fay] you Hussein, from my son, who ever. They would show the bombs going through windows on TV. I honestly can't remember if they brought the pictures home or if they mailed them to us, but we would bring them to school and show each other. Email wasn't really a thing back then

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was dabbling in pacifism in 1991.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not in Nam, of course.

kmf600 likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Saddest/best picture you'll see all week.

[​IMG]

kmf600, Daddy Gee, gcbvol and 6 others like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

Watching the motorcade through Houston. There is nothing more fascinating than a Presidential Funeral.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love that they’re reassigning the same dog to another disabled veteran, instead of just putting him at the house.

A-Smith, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. CardinalVol

You can tell right there he's a good dog. They should.

15. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yep, can’t wait to see what these liberal rags write when Bubba bites the dust

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

My obituary damn well better include any and all groping allegations against me.

17. NorrisAlan

Don't forget your evil medical experiments.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My Twitter is working again.

@fl0at_

19. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I missed this one. He was a good actor and I really, really liked the second incarnation of Mama's Family much better than the Buzz and Sonya seasons despite those also featuring Rue McClanahan, Betty White, and Carol Burnett. I thought the show was actually better more centered around Vinton, Mama, Naomi, Bubba, and Iola.

20. CardinalVol

Another one. Powerful stuff.

Butthole likes this.